PDA

View Full Version : 98 yamaha big bear starter problem

dctaz37
12-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi, my 98 big bear has a starter problem. There is power getting to the starter but it doesn't spin. I removed the starter and when I put power to it on the bench it turns. I took the starter apart and the brushes are worn to under .25 of an inch and the manual says to service at .33. Will worn brushes cause this problem?
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

rocky_mtn_honda
12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
i think your definately on the right track...;)
what is your bench power source?

dctaz37
12-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I ordered the brushes and they should be in this week. I had to put the ATV back together because we got 2 feet of snow and I use this to plow my 300+ foot driveway. I used the battery out of the ATV for a power source, ran a wire from the positive to the starter terminal and put the edge of the starter on the negative. I cleaned up the armature with fine sandpaper and now it does not turn at all. It sure was hard to start with the pull cord, I had to open the air box and empty it because it was full of fuel. I guess it filled up because I had the ATV on it's side to remove the starter. This is the first time I've used the pull cord and after plowing the driveway I noticed one bolt actually fell out and all the other bolts for the pull cord were loose. I hate these domino effoect problems, it makes for a long repair.