PDA

View Full Version : do you prefer heelguards or no heelguards and why?

J.J.
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
i'm just curious what everyones opinion is on this...

i have some regular tusk bars with the stock hellguards and pegs.. at the time of gettin them i couldnt afford nicer bars with fat pegs and heel guards but i have since rode a few quads with fat pegs and i couldnt tell enough difference to justify the price of them..

now my dad has a new 400ex and wants my nerf bars and i want to upgrade to a nicer set of nerfs like IMS roll or somethin.. i can get regular nerfs for stock pegs for like 179 on ebay and i would ditch my heel guards if i had them..

should i be worried about ditchin the heel guards completely? i see so many bikes with them and so many without them so aside from the obvious about running over your legs, why do people take them off?

TheNewn
12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Really, in my opinion, heel guards are a must for every type of riding unless you're really really worried about saving some weight.

At one point i had a 250R with just those skinny little pegs that were worn round to hold onto...not a good thing...
I've run over my foot a couple times, then i put a nice set of fatpeg/nerf/heel guard combo deals on my 400EX and fat pegs on my R before i sold it and it was a great improvement. After going from stock 250R and/or 400EX pegs to fat pegs i wouldnt want a quad with anything else, especially pegs with kickups.

Back to your original question, i think the only downside really to heelguards is weight or possibly some mud/snow getting built up in the well of the heel guard in certain models.

In my experience, the pros very much outweigh the cons.

Pipeless416
12-09-2009, 12:30 AM
i don't have heel guards simply because i got IMS footpegs and the stock ones don't fit. i'd love to pick up a pair of IMS heel guards, but that's a lot of money i don't have. if i actually rode the thing, i would dish it out. i have never had a slipping issue with these new pegs either. also, its hard for my riding boots to even fit back there, especially since my leg doesn't really bend that way at all with them on. im not nearly as aggressive as a lot of people either. i'll get them someday.

Pipeless416
12-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
especially pegs with kickups.

so does that mean you prefere to not have kickups?

monster400ex
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
if your just riding around with friends and not racing then i wouldnt worry about getting the heel guards they are nice not not necessary i usually rip the stock ones off just cause they come off anyway and i put nerf bars on never in 10 years have i had my foot go behind the peg and into the tire but if your racing then i would recommend it

katch26
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
heelguards def....the stocks ones are usually okay but are prety heavy and/ or flimsy.

hypersnyper6947
12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I have never had heal guards and I ride the shyt out of it through rough wooped out florida trails and mx (sometimes). I have never had a problem with my feet slipping back.

honda400ex2003
12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
no guards for me. i dont care for them at all. i had my 400 for 3 days and took the stock ones off. now my nerfs go back far enough to make it nice for my feet and help to protect me. there is also no mud packed in them all the time. steve

Flynbryan19
12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
No heelguards here. I don't like how most do not let you ride on the balls of your feet and when its a muddy race they pack up w/ mud. If you have sharp pegs your feet shouldn't slip off the pegs.

jdog75
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
took mine off watin to finish the rebuild to try them out

slightlybent47
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes i use them.

KISSmyACE
12-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I use them, and could never ride without them. When I was taught to ride, I slide my heals back into them and it keeps my body more stable on the quad. That way I stay in position and with braking bumps and jumping I don't pop right off the quad. It's just a comfortable riding stance for me and how I was taught so now I am fairly reliant on them. I have the stockers on my quad but I'm light so I have no issues with them so far. One of the brackets came loose but it's ziptied right now while I get a replacement bolt.

Honda#4
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I prefer heelguards cuz I tend to kick the rear end out when I do roosts and hard turning and whatnot plus they'll save your ankles if you would happen to slip off. Can't go wrong with the IMS-Roll setup, go on ebay for it though its much cheaper.

TheNewn
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
so does that mean you prefere to not have kickups?

I guess i worded it wierd. I prefer kick ups to non kick up pegs.

siggy konowaluk
12-11-2009, 08:39 PM
heelguards. i dont want to be running my feet over. i have stock ones on at the moment untill i get new nerfs+ heelguards.

416ex xc racing
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
i would say heelguards i got fat pegs on my quad an my feet still slap off some times but if u dont race an just ride around the yard an stuff you polly wont really need them

400ex28
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
no heelguards

Motoman723
12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
No heelgaurds are definetly something to get used to but IMO I would go without....Sure there is the risk of running over your foot. But at the same time you can lean back more over the edge.

nastyrider17
12-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I prefer to have heelguards because I don't feel like running over my leg. This is the setup that I'm running now and I've never had mud or anything else get packed in them. Also how do you guys think these would be and would they fit with my nerfs.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&navType=type&webTypeId=7&navTitle=ATV+Parts&webCatId=24&prodFamilyId=12526#vehicleSelect

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx115/nastyrider17/400ex/DSC_0081.jpg

quadmanw
12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
i love the heelgaurds. i have the AC on mine and they dont pack with mud and there look sweet. they have kickups and a wide peg. my feet always slip and ive seen what happens if that tire catches your foot. plus you can jam your feet in them and ride a wheelie easier haha.