PDA

View Full Version : Ford lift help/opinions

SmthHonRider99
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Ok so I have a 95 bronco XLT with 3" suspension 3" body sittin on 35's. It looks like it has stock coil springs on it though, can you use the stock springs with a 3" susp. lift?

also. im in the process of getting some 40" boggers hopefully. How much higher do I need to go to fit them? would i need to get a lengthened driveshaft if i went any higher?

Ruby Soho
12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
to obtain suspension lift, you need longer coils. unless the coil buckets were dropped.

you can go up to 6" of all suspension before you need to lengthen the drive shaft.

if you want to do 40s, you're going to want to do a solid front axle swap, as the TTB can't handle tires that big.

i would throw in a solid dana 44 (or 60 if you can find one) swap it in, 9" coils up front, and in the back you can do it the cheap way with blocks (do like a 4" block and a stock shackle flip) or get rear springs. also your going to need ext. brake lines and what not

if you want it to come out right and nice your going to have to spend some money.

SmthHonRider99
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks man exactly what i needed.

Ruby Soho
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
no problem, PM me if you have any more questions.. i know the 80-96 bronco/f150 suspension like the back of my hand:p

brian76708
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
i wouldnt use a dana 44 with 40 tires go with the d60

wrekd
12-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
i wouldnt use a dana 44 with 40 tires go with the d60

x2...I had a HPD44 in my S-10 and I snapped axles all the time on 36's...JUNK!!

Heres just one of the times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjKUuOS2os

I eventually put a HP60 in but never finished it

:(

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/39s008.jpg

KXRida
12-09-2009, 04:27 AM
These guys pretty much covered it all. A d44 will handle 37's if built half decent. My original plan with my ranger was to swap in a HPD44 with CTM shafts and joints and one of the sterling's I have laying around. I decided to go the long travel route though, so I'll be cutting and turning a D35 with some custom shafts.

As far as your lift, a full 6'' lift and possibly a body lift may clear 40's. If you do a SAS you'll gain some tire clearance with the wider tires, but check your state legislation because it may not be street legal and you'll get hammered. Depending how the lift works out you still may need to trim some fenders.

hondariderdylan
12-09-2009, 10:43 AM
my buddys 94 f150 has a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift and clears 38's easy and i believe could fit 40's with a little trimming,not sure about reliability though

but once you go any larger than what you have now TTB becomes your worst enemy. I am having the same mental problems with the porspects of lifting my 92 FSB:D

i wanted to ask though, what type of driving does the truck normally see?
if its a daily driver and you get that set of boggers, your going to be replacing them in about 6 months to a year:ermm:

elite ATV1
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
your gunna want to do an SAS if you going with a tire that big. are you a member on fullsizebronco.com?

KXRida
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Also check out pirate. Some of the guys are dicks over there, but most are pretty helpful.

KXRida
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Also check out pirate 4x4. Some of the guys are dicks over there, but most are pretty helpful.

wrekd
12-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Also check out pirate 4x4. Some of the guys are dicks over there, but most are pretty helpful.

I hate Pirate. They don't pay attention unless your linked f&r on tons or Rocks. I only go over there to sell stuff...lol

KXRida
12-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by wrekd
I hate Pirate. They don't pay attention unless your linked f&r on tons or Rocks. I only go over there to sell stuff...lol

My brother has 2 1/2 rocks so he's over there quite a bit for parts. I pretty much hang out at dezertrangers. I'm starting to accumulate parts for my long travel project. Part of me just wants to send my beams to camburg and just have them do the cut and turn. I really don't feel like building a jig and having the time involved for the cut and turn. It's almost worth the money IMO.

mxtuner
12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
my buddy has a bronco on 42's not sure on the lift and what all he had to do to make them fit. I will find out though.

bbender85
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by elite ATV1
your gunna want to do an SAS if you going with a tire that big.

truuuue story. always makes me laugh, the guys who put 37"+ tires on GM IFS trucks. :rolleyes:

hondariderdylan
12-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
truuuue story. always makes me laugh, the guys who put 37"+ tires on GM IFS trucks. :rolleyes:

and then wonders why he breaks parts everytime he goes down a rough dirt road.:p

i live in a town of less than smart rednecks, they dont care if its reliable, they just want the biggest tires they can get

wrekd
12-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
My brother has 2 1/2 rocks so he's over there quite a bit for parts. I pretty much hang out at dezertrangers. I'm starting to accumulate parts for my long travel project. Part of me just wants to send my beams to camburg and just have them do the cut and turn. I really don't feel like building a jig and having the time involved for the cut and turn. It's almost worth the money IMO.

Just grind the welds and use an angle finder with a BFH. Thats what I did. I'm sure I didn't get them 100% perfect but they were close enough for me...lol

Are you using stock beams or aftermarkets??

KXRida
12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by wrekd
Just grind the welds and use an angle finder with a BFH. Thats what I did. I'm sure I didn't get them 100% perfect but they were close enough for me...lol

Are you using stock beams or aftermarkets??

not sure yet. All depends on what I plan on using for raduis arms as well. I have aftermarket radius arms, but think I want to go more with a tubed arm. I'll probably end up going with stock beams just for the cost factor. It's not happening anytime soon, but I'm starting to accumulate parts. The shocks and steering will by far be the most expensive part of the build. Probably going to run a double swinger front for the steering. As far as the back I picked up a deaver race pack now I'm looking for some LT shocks. I can't cage my bed or put shock towers/brace in until I get another vehicle. That's the main thing that's holding me back.

SmthHonRider99
12-10-2009, 07:51 PM
k i have now backed out of the whole 40's thing haha. I was unaware of all that needs to be done in order to run tires that big. new plans are some taller coil springs/shocks to level off the front some, maybe squat in the rear just a little bit. new 35's - 37's. Also been looking at some programmers lately.

hondariderdylan
12-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SmthHonRider99
k i have now backed out of the whole 40's thing haha. I was unaware of all that needs to be done in order to run tires that big. new plans are some taller coil springs/shocks to level off the front some, maybe squat in the rear just a little bit. new 35's - 37's. Also been looking at some programmers lately.

good choice :cool:
let us know how it turns out, are you talking about an engine programmer?

SmthHonRider99
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
yes. i was looking at the jet chip. has some good reviews about it .

http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A1777A0A0A2601181.aspx

400exrider707
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
A chip or programmer on a gas truck isn't worth the money to me... you could spend it better on something else IMO.

SmthHonRider99
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
then what do you recommend for under 300 bucks

bbender85
12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
find a used one on a forum or ebay... i got mine for $100.