PDA

View Full Version : Chain just got looser

Dave9640
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I've been riding on my 400ex for a couple years with no problems thankfully. The other day I looked and saw about a 2" to 21/2" play in the chain. I'm about to undo the 4 bolts on the swingarm but wanted to know if there might be another reason and what to do about it? Any help would be appreciated. Davejavascript:smilie(':eek2:')

flyboy1294
12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Chains stretch as they wear. It is perfectly normal, especially if it several years old. That is why there is the adjustment. Tighten it back up and you'll be good to go. :cool:

katch26
12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
unless your carrier bearings are bad as well

flyboy1294
12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by katch26
unless your carrier bearings are bad as well

He would notice the play if it were that. If he hasn't adjusted the chain for several years it is definitely just stretched.

Mine is a pretty new chain and I have to adjusted it twice in the past year.

coreyownz
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
if he's overtightening it he could be causing it to stretch when he squats the suspension stretching the chain

flyboy1294
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
He implies that this is his first time tightening the chain.

slightlybent47
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I’d say if it’s been several years without even having to adjust it that is amazing.
I go through a chain and sprocket set every year. If it’s been that long the chain and sprocket need to be looked at to see if it needs replacing. If you do replace them just get the cheep steal sprockets (I use sunstar) and the best chain you can get. You want one with the highest tensile strength. The stronger the chain the less likely it will stretch.

BRAD6160
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
"The less likely it will stretch".....It will just snap and not stretch

honda400ex2003
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
he also goes through a set a year cause he runs sunstars lol. go with something decent if needed with something like a DID x ring and some renthals or sidewinders if you have the money. i have over two years of hard riding on my set right now and feel that they should be good for another year. i didnt get 2 years out of my stock stuff, that is pretty good. steve

slightlybent47
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I use sun star because there cheep and I can play with the gearing without spending a lot of money. And if you change to a new sprocket I think you should change the chain as well. I ride on sandy tracks and the sand eats them up pretty fast. My point is to stay away from the aluminum or the titanium ones, they don’t last long and they break pretty easy.

Dave9640
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I checked the bearing carrier and it's fine-not loose. I'm going to try tightening the chain, if not I'll replace the chain and sprockets.

Thanks again, Dave

honda400ex2003
12-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I use sun star because there cheep and I can play with the gearing without spending a lot of money. And if you change to a new sprocket I think you should change the chain as well. I ride on sandy tracks and the sand eats them up pretty fast. My point is to stay away from the aluminum or the titanium ones, they don’t last long and they break pretty easy.

agreed, it does start to get expensive when you are buying a few different sprockets. it was all in. lol. i know a few guys that have used them and usually get about a year of riding out of them. sand eats them up in a hurry. steve