PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I need a new set of tires. I still have the stockers all around.
The fronts are still good but the rears are terrible for traction. I trail ride with a various of different ground conditions with hard packed dirt, mud and some sand pits. I dont ride at much rocky places except when i take a trip to hatfeild mccoy or pa. I ran some really rough and rocky terrain and I am REALLY suprise that i havent had a durability issue with my stock tires.

I took a look at itp tires but there are a lot of option and confuse the hell out of me more. From ITP i am looking at the holeshot xct, h-d, or gnnc. I think i ruled out the xct tire because of the 22 tall tire for the rear, which concerns me if it will make the 400 too top heavy and gearing issues, but it would help me from getting stuck in ruts on some hill climbs. the ruts on hills are an issue sometimes. These straight axles have very little ground clearence.

So i am leaning torwards the H-d or gnnc. The h-d are 19.5lbs as opposed to 15.5 for the 21x11-9 gnnc. I am hoping that the 21" tire will give me slightly more ground clearence than stock, but not affect my gearing. It does say lower profile on the itp website for the gnnc, not sure what that means. hope they arent shorter than my stock tires.

Anyone have experience with both these tires? I havent looked into the razrs, any opinions on itp or razrs? Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. what front would be better h-d or gnnc for my riding conditions?

MidnightBlade
12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
gotta promote the razr's they are 6ply so they can take abuse and they go through anything but also the brand new ohtsu's like come on it are one of the best tires made for traction but i mud alot so im getting swamp fox or racing tires im like you still have the stoch ohtsu they go great in the snow

MidnightBlade
12-08-2009, 05:14 PM
shouldve told you the 22" wont make much diference in gearing i have 15 instead of 14 to go faster and it still aint too hard on the clutch but the extra 1/2 inch wont do much on hilclimbs so id deffinatly 22" but no bigger because they rip out swingarm bearings and carrier bearings

jdog75
12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
dont go holeshots. they were 3 times faster than razrs buy razr front if you want new ones and razr ballance or razr 2 backs. I ride the same terrains and never got stuck got a flat or had any wearing issues

katch26
12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
the gncc are slightly undersized but mine are the 20's and bigger than the stock ohtsu, slight smaller than the 20" razr r'sthey replaced though

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Looking into razrs too and they have a lot of models too. Razr, razr2 irazr. I haven't seen the balance yet. Will have to look them up. Which one are comparable to the Itp HD and gnnc? Too many options. Lol

guenther
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
GBC tires.

http://www.gbctires.com

I've got X-rex on mine and they are great.

siggy konowaluk
12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
i have some razr 2's and there great for trails and anything else you put them up against. i love them.

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
looking into the maxxis it seems that the razr and razr2 are the way too go. But some of the reviews on the razr2's complain about too much traction and not being able to slide out much...

anyone have these issues?

bkelley
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I love my Holeshot H-Ds. I've never had a problem with them and they've gone through some pretty rough stuff. Thorns, sharp rocks, etc. I even get some nice traction in the sand. Don't have anything to compare them to as far as how fast they wear, but I've had mine for a while and they still have a lot of tread left. Think I will try some Razrs or GNCCs for my next set, though.

Muzzgit
12-09-2009, 07:32 AM
The HD's are heavy. They are a good tyre though.

Have a look at Kenda Claw. 6 ply, not too heavy, rated for trails.

Mustangous
12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
I love my Holeshot H-Ds. I've never had a problem with them and they've gone through some pretty rough stuff. Thorns, sharp rocks, etc. I even get some nice traction in the sand. Don't have anything to compare them to as far as how fast they wear, but I've had mine for a while and they still have a lot of tread left. Think I will try some Razrs or GNCCs for my next set, though.
So if you buy razrs next which model would them be??

I am leaning torwards the razr2's for the rear. and possibly the razr or razr2 for the front. I just hope I dont have problems kicking it out around on turns...

katch26
12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
id do razr rears and razr 2 fronts.......the razr2 fronts are hard to beat but the rears are really over treaded IMO....if youre really set on the razr line

Mustangous
12-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by katch26
id do razr rears and razr 2 fronts.......the razr2 fronts are hard to beat but the rears are really over treaded IMO....if youre really set on the razr line
well everyone seems to say the ITPs wear too fast so thats why i am thinking razr.

katch26
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
certain ones do wear faster, i have gnccs and trac stars and both have worn really well....the i-razrs are notoriously quick wearing. Its a trade off really traction or wear. The razr2s are like bricks and wear really slowly and as a result are really good loose/ mixed terrain tires but hard pack and muddy conditions theyre not so good. Radial/biased etc etc it really goes on and on. Theres never a perfect tire for every situation so you pretty much have to take it for what it is make a decision in a tire that will suit your needs the best...

Mustangous
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by katch26
certain ones do wear faster, i have gnccs and trac stars and both have worn really well....the i-razrs are notoriously quick wearing. Its a trade off really traction or wear. The razr2s are like bricks and wear really slowly and as a result are really good loose/ mixed terrain tires but hard pack and muddy conditions theyre not so good. Radial/biased etc etc it really goes on and on. Theres never a perfect tire for every situation so you pretty much have to take it for what it is make a decision in a tire that will suit your needs the best...
what benifets does a radial tire have over non? I did notice that the maxxis balance are radials...

The razrs are a good 3lbs light than the 2's also...

katch26
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
well smoother quieter ride mostly but the construction is totally different......I personally just prefer the ride quality of a radial and just really hate the razr2 rears lol

here's some benefits
Puncture Resistance
# The strength of the multi-layers of steel belts make the tread resistant to punctures. The two-part construction of the tire structure allows the sidewalls to flex independently from the tread. This allows the tread to stay in contact with the road surface even while the sidewalls flex under a load or while cornering. This greatly reduces the chance of foreign objects puncturing the sidewalls since the sidewall doesn't "roll over" to present itself to the road surface.
Traction
# The same construction elements that make the radial tire puncture resistant also give it better traction than bias ply tires. The radial's tread stays in contact with the road surface even under a load. A bias ply tire will distort its tread under a load and so reduces the amount of tread area that is in contact with the road surface.
Heat Efficiency
# The steel cables in radial tires act as a heat sink to dissipate heat. This keeps the tire running at a cooler temperature than an equivalent-sized bias tire. The plies of a bias tire hold heat and so are more prone to blowouts when the tire heats up during sustained highway driving.
Quiet Ride
# The radial tire--due to its two-part construction--offers a quieter, smoother ride than the bias tire. It is also more fuel efficient since it offers less resistance to the road surface. This is a term referred to as "rolling resistance." Overall, radial tires have longer life compared with bias tires under similar workloads and environments.

bkelley
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
The Kenda Klaw XCs are pretty nice, especially for the price. Probably the cheapest 6 ply tires you'll find. I've seen a few people on here with them. The Kenda Dominators look pretty decent, too. Thinking about getting a rear set for my dad's 350X.

Mustangous
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
thanks for everyones input!

siggy konowaluk
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Mustangous
looking into the maxxis it seems that the razr and razr2 are the way too go. But some of the reviews on the razr2's complain about too much traction and not being able to slide out much...

anyone have these issues?

i have no problem spinning my razrs. they do hook up pretty good though

Mustangous
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by siggy konowaluk
i have no problem spinning my razrs. they do hook up pretty good though
do you have razr2's or the razr?

MidnightBlade
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
im getting 22-11-9 maxxis all-trak for my 400ex my cuz has the 25's on his z400 and they go good on everyhing but ice but i dont know what does go good on ice lol

quadmanw
12-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I love the rzrs. i just took a pair of holeshot gncc that i just bought this summer. they worked for like 2 weeks. i am now running rzr2 in the front and rzr in the back. its great. but rzr2 all around are great tires. last a long time and you wont get stuck.

tbrackman84
12-11-2009, 01:03 PM
i have iRazr rears and they are sweet for everything. Im getting Razr2's for the front, i personally think its a great all around combination.

cdubbzz
12-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I just bought a set of Kenda Kutter XC's (through Rockymntn) but haven't hit the trails yet. Not as popular as the others but I haven't heard anything bad about them either.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/images/orprod/400/k/ken_09_tir_kut_xc_rea.jpg

katch26
12-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by cdubbzz
I just bought a set of Kenda Kutter XC's (through Rockymntn) but haven't hit the trails yet. Not as popular as the others but I haven't heard anything bad about them either.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/images/orprod/400/k/ken_09_tir_kut_xc_rea.jpg

I think the cutters are a new line. They look nice and if they are anything like the other kendas they should be a hit. When you get some time on them you shlould post a review for them.

f4iracer
12-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey all, i'm looking at getting some Kenda Klaw XC tires.

I noticed that the rears don't come in the stock size (20x10x9).

Instead, they come in 20x11x9. I take it this means the tire is a little wider?

Just making sure this is normal. I'm about to order but wanna make sure that they'll fit.

Muzzgit
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Kenda Klaw XC are a good tyre. If you are putting them on a 400EX they are perfect.

You can run them in either direction so when they start to wear on one side of the knob, turn them around and run 'em the other way.

Not recommended for MUD, and not too good on hard ROCKS. but sand, trails and dunes............ SPOT ON.