PDA

View Full Version : big off road lights

cms400ex
12-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I was thinking about putting a ricky stator 55 w offroad light kit on my quad ,has any one ever used on or seen this set up on a 400ex .Does any one know if there are any other kits like this on the market? thanks

katch26
12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
have you ever tried just a basic HID upgrade kit?

tri5ron
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by cms400ex
I was thinking about putting a ricky stator 55 w offroad light kit on my quad ,has any one ever used on or seen this set up on a 400ex .Does any one know if there are any other kits like this on the market? thanks
just break out your wallet, and go wild.....

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-ATV/ATV+%26+UTV+PRODUCTS

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I bought mine from here. They got cheaper now though.
These are awesome and have no problem running in the woods at night.. what an amazing difference. night ant and day...lol

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85

gt400ex
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Mustangous
These are awesome and have no problem running in the woods at night.. what an amazing difference. night ant and day...lol

What bulb type did you use and what all you have to do to get it to work?

katch26
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
they have kits on ebay too made for the h6m bulb. The kits are literally plug and play. The light plug (from the harness) plugs into the relay box which then has a plug that plugs into the light which mounts like normal. You may have to drill a ground but really only have to find a place to mount the relays.

edit: thats a good deal at that site.

What the available light output of the 400s stator before upgrading is required?

CJM
12-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Did you need a a unit for each bulb/light?

katch26
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah one each.....kit comes with 2 bulbs 2 ballasts

CJM
12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by katch26
yeah one each.....kit comes with 2 bulbs 2 ballasts

Cool, totally plug and play kit I assume?

Thanks for the help btw.

katch26
12-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Cool, totally plug and play kit I assume?

Thanks for the help btw.

yep....these kits are all the same just different bulbs. some have a wire coming off that youll have to drill for a ground some run the ground through the oem harness but its super easy. I have the kit for my truck and it literally took 10 minutes to hook up with mounting the brackets and everything......the rest took like 3 fricken hours lol but on a quad it wont take any time at all.

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
yep....these kits are all the same just different bulbs. some have a wire coming off that youll have to drill for a ground some run the ground through the oem harness but its super easy. I have the kit for my truck and it literally took 10 minutes to hook up with mounting the brackets and everything......the rest took like 3 fricken hours lol but on a quad it wont take any time at all.
Have you ever installed these in the 400ex? I am just curious because I bought these h6m kit from ddm tuning for my 400ex and the plugs arent the same, which was no bid deal because i had to run them through the boot that waterproofs the headlight anyway. So i had to cut the wires on the factory light socket anyway. I wasnt sure why the plugs were different when they are supposed to be same. Before i purchased an hid kit I googled h6m and a thread came up on another forum that they did the same on a ktm too.

Also when installing them i wired the high beam together with the low beams so that when I turn the lights on they are on regaurdless of the high beam switch. I just soldered the plug off my old headlight socket harness and now made them plug and play. I figured that if i ever want to put the factory light back in, which i would ever see me going back to them, but if i need too i could just buy a new harness and with boot off ron ayers new for $15.

heres the links i read
http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/important-information/1082-h6m-hid-headlight-install.html

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46089

CJM
12-08-2009, 05:12 PM
That guy on that raptor forum you lined really gave me some good ideas.

TBH I think I will keep the stock lights and then add an extra 2 or so lights I can convert to HID (if you buy some hella offroad 500FF or 700FF lights) you can convert the easy and put out alot of light. Wire up another switch and bingo, these things barely use any juice too!

katch26
12-08-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mustangous
[B]Have you ever installed these in the 400ex? l[/URL]

no but I have 3 kits on 2 different vehicles and they required 3 different bulbs but all of them lined up perfectly with the OEM plug....thats the selling point of these kits the plug and playability. Ive inquired about them on ebay different brand though and those are also plug and play.....sounds like that company dropped the ball on that one.

katch26
12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
i stand corrected the h6m kit Does require more work than just the plug and play.....sorry for the confusion. i guess the guy i bought all mine from was just tryinhg to sell another

clemsonteg
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mustangous
[B]Have you ever installed these in the 400ex? l[/URL]

no but I have 3 kits on 2 different vehicles and they required 3 different bulbs but all of them lined up perfectly with the OEM plug....thats the selling point of these kits the plug and playability. Ive inquired about them on ebay different brand though and those are also plug and play.....sounds like that company dropped the ball on that one.

Do you have any links or ebay sellers to the ones you bought?

CJM
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
What kinda bulb does the 400ex actually use?

clemsonteg
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
What kinda bulb does the 400ex actually use?

I am guessing it is an h6m, seen it mentioned a few times in here.

CJM
12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
I am guessing it is an h6m, seen it mentioned a few times in here.

I guessed as well, just wanted to confirm.

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
correct, h6m bulbs....

actually a new harness for the lights if ever needed are $21
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/3/Type/All-Terrain_Vehicle_(ATV)/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/5312/Model/TRX400EX/GroupID/201416/Group/HEADLIGHT_('05-'06)

honestly the only way to get it to seal as good as factory would be to cut the wires from the factory bulb and feed the new bulb wires through the rubber boot that weather proofs the lens and light. I now it would be easier to just plug and play, but it would be more important to get that boot on for a weather proof seal.

Another option would be to purchase the wiring harness/ bulb socket for $21 from above and pre wire it so it is plug and play. I basically did that with the original harness. No need to buy a new one unless i need it. But after going hid there is no going back. I am no putting hids everywhere i can now...lol

CJM
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I think ill do the hella 500ff HID mod that ive done on my truck. Not to hard at all and will throw more light b/c the stock lights are TINY.

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
still amazingly bright!

clemsonteg
02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Have you ever installed these in the 400ex? I am just curious because I bought these h6m kit from ddm tuning for my 400ex and the plugs arent the same, which was no bid deal because i had to run them through the boot that waterproofs the headlight anyway. So i had to cut the wires on the factory light socket anyway. I wasnt sure why the plugs were different when they are supposed to be same. Before i purchased an hid kit I googled h6m and a thread came up on another forum that they did the same on a ktm too.

Also when installing them i wired the high beam together with the low beams so that when I turn the lights on they are on regaurdless of the high beam switch. I just soldered the plug off my old headlight socket harness and now made them plug and play. I figured that if i ever want to put the factory light back in, which i would ever see me going back to them, but if i need too i could just buy a new harness and with boot off ron ayers new for $15.

heres the links i read
http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/important-information/1082-h6m-hid-headlight-install.html

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46089

Do you happen to have any pics of what you did? I'm a little confused on what you had to do to the factory socket in order to make it work. The guy on the kfx forum looks like he completely dismantled the factory socket and the put it back together again.

supraloud84
02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by CJM
I think ill do the hella 500ff HID mod that ive done on my truck. Not to hard at all and will throw more light b/c the stock lights are TINY.

Actually if you want the best light output from and hid bulb, they need to be in a projector housing. The projectors focus the beam as opposed to a standard housing which will let it scatter. I have HIDs in my stock housings for now and the light output is awesome, but instead of being focused it is very broad. Im retrofitting a set of projector housings into the stock housings so that it will focus the light more and throw it further. By doing this there should be almost no way I can outrun the headlights. I couldn't ever imagine going back to stock lights. When we ride at night my buddies are always riding on my corners to take advantage of my lights.lol