PDA

View Full Version : 05 TLD won't start using starter

predatoradam
12-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I am currently riding a 2005 Polaris Predator TLD edition. I have gone through much of the quad. It has been beaten on, but I know how to work on it, and it keeps going, so I keep rockin it!

Currently, the quad will not start when turning it over with the starter. It will turn over, but doesn't fire. It has fuel, if I recall correctly it shows good spark, and is getting air. I can even jump start it with a car (probably not a good idea, but it definitely turns over quickly!), but it still has no effect. As I said, I have been through most of the quad. The timing is correct, and it has a new timing chain/tensioner. I have also cleaned up the jug and installed new rings.

I can get it to backfire, but that is all it does when turning over from the starter.

Now onto the weird part. I can pull start it and get it to IMMEDIATELY fire up. A buddy of mine with a 4x4 quad will pull start me for roughly 30 feet, I will engage the clutch and plant my weight on the seat at the same time in 1st gear, and it will fire right up. It will stay running. Once I get it warmed up, I can shut it off and refire it for the rest of the day using the starter! Also, I will note that it seems to run properly. It doesn't misfire or hickup, and after it warms up, is quite responsive!

So to sum it up, quad will NOT START when it is cold (first start of the day) when turning over by the starter. When pull starting, it will fire right up. Once it is warmed up, I can refire it with the starter for the remainder of the day.

I am not sure what this could be exactly, but I think it may be an issue with the carburetor. I need to learn more about the choke circuit, but it doesn't seem to work properly. As I said, it has fuel (or smells like it), has air, and has spark. The compression is good. And I am pretty sure it isn't an issue with the ignition relay as it will fire up on its own after it is warmed up.

Any ideas?

I would like to get this fixed over the winter so the quad isn't a hinderence to my buddies when we start riding again (Hey, would you pull start me, haha)!

Adam

mbellaver
12-07-2009, 09:32 PM
The choke is actually an ericher. sp? Instead of choking the air to make the air/fuel richer, it adds fuel to the mix. I'm not an advocate of using it,very often, but will it fire up if you give it a shot of ether?

katch26
12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
sounds like your battery is shot. These things need a FULL 12v esp if youre running a aftermarket cdi. The aftermarket boxes have a much higher brown out voltage meaning it will kill the spark unless it has the proper amount of voltage. After it get warmed up youre running off of the currently charged battery that your stator just hooked up so you should be good to go. Are you still running the stock PJ in the carb?