PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start when very cold!

White Outlaw
12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Does anyone else have this problem of getting their Outlaw 525 started in cold temps 15 degrees F and below? The choke does not seem to have any adjustment and does not seem to help when it is that cold and it has been sitting outside. If I do not hit the throttle at least once (for the AP to squirt some fuel in) it will not even fire. If I hit it once it fires and dies a second later. I can do this for a minute or two until it warms up enough to run if my battery does not die first. If I hit it two or three times it seems to flood and not start at all. This is rather anoying with no form of variable choke.

rooster300ex
12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
My 300ex does the samething. It takes a few times of pumping the gas to get it to start and stay running. I bet if u put a pilot jet 2 sizes bigger that will help it.

sleddog66
12-09-2009, 04:45 AM
need to change your pilot, and I would rejet across the board. I always use the AP squirt even in the summer. I went up 1 on the pilot, and it will fire and run at zero I know. Any colder, and I don't think that I have even tried it.

White Outlaw
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I'll try a bigger pilot jet. What size are you running?

sleddog66
12-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I went 1 bigger than stock, 48 I think. 1 turn out on the screw. I am running E-10 fuel, & I'm at 900 ft. I have a EHS lid and a pipe, and a JD needle in. Otherwise I am stock.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree with the larger pilot. I also pump the throttle several times before hitting the button in cold weather. It will still die a few times but it helps get the thing going

kylejansson
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
this isnt the best thing to do but if mine is cold and hasnt been started I either jump is or hit it with the charge when I need to start it and it fires right up with the extra power everytime