PDA

View Full Version : MX swaybar comparision

daddio
12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
The other thread got jacked...............

I can see the benefits of the swaybar on some mx tracks.

The only real difference I can see between the $650 Sonic and the $340 Rath one, is the adjustability of the arms and the option of different bars.

JenniferRath
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
:D Our arms have alway been adustable and we have over 8 diffent torsion bars available for different track conditions :D

daddio
12-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by JenniferRath
:D Our arms have alway been adustable and we have over 8 diffent torsion bars available for different track conditions :D

I know your swaybars are the #1 pick for flat track and TT. We have one ourselves, but I wasn't aware that you had different bars available. It's not listed on your website.

I should have been more specific............

The Sonic Bars width is adjustable.

Has anyone tried the Rath bar on an MX quad?

Colby@C&DRacing
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
We are currently using the sonic bar on one of our team bikes and would really like to try the Rath bars on another machine to see if it works the same. I think this would be an interesting comparison two identical quads with the same setup for direct back to back comparison.

daddio
12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
We are currently using the sonic bar on one of our team bikes and would really like to try the Rath bars on another machine to see if it works the same. I think this would be an interesting comparison two identical quads with the same setup for direct back to back comparison.

Send me one of your Sonic Sway bars and I'll do a comparision for you.:D

JenniferRath
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes we have always offered the different torsion bars weights ( I should get them on the website )

As for adjusting the "width" of the sway bar- you are not adjusting the torsion which is the peice of the sway bar that actually provides performance. Width is just a "fitment" not a performance. That is why we developed and released the billet clamps a few years ago to allow mounting adjustments with ease.

One thing that makes our swaybars unique is the years of working with different "torsion" bars, we manufacture our torsion bars in house allowing us to make different lengths, different weights, to ultimately pass on a superior product. We released the first ones with a true torsion bar back in 1992 ( not a solid bar) our torsion bars are designed to give you the flex you need when you need it. They are built out of a Carbon Chrome Alloy Steel, this material is ideal for this application because it does not fatigue over time, is durable yet can flex to absorb everything giving you a smooth better rider, with increased handling.

A true torsion bar is basically a spring concept that controls the body roll- that spring is not in a coil form it is in a shaft form. So similar to how a coil spring collapses to absord the impact of loads, the torsion bar twists to absorb the impact of loads.

Just like changing spring rates on a shock it is so important to be able to change spring rates on a torsion. Our bar allows you to do that with six adjustment holes that change leverage on the torsion bar on each side. We actually take it one step farther and if you have a special or unique kind of need we will custom build the proper weight torsion bar for your application.

Some of our serious racers actually carry a couple different weight torsion bars that just slide in and out depending on track/trail conditions to get the best performance.

TNT
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
That was a well put explanation RATH! We’ve own a TT RATH for years and as far as I am concerned are the best!!

My concern about using sway bars as the industry has known and used for TT in MX, is not enough structural analysis and testing of all the different OEM arms and frames, and hybrids has not been conducted to my knowledge. I know the DS450 to dump more torsion into the upper arm where it is currently cracking would not be a good idea, and I’d have to question the effects on the YFZr where the upper arm axis is at an angle to lower that may cause a higher concentration of point load at the arm attach and aluminum frame. Aluminum frames are fairly new and do not take to kind to bending moments or torsion/flex.

As you said, the load is being taken out in torsion at the torque shaft, but also being dumped into the arms and frame from front to rear, possibly causing bending moments on frame and suspension components that were not designed for it, the further you increase lever arms and torque values the higher the frame loads. That’s why in my mind to do this properly since the loads in MX are far, far, greater and different than that of TT, the arms, frames have to be considered as well as shocks and other components. I think time will till tell as it always does how all these frames and arms hold up due to fatigue too, not just the torsion bars.

daddio
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Very good explaination and thanks for clearing that up, Jennifer.

I'm still looking for anyone else that has tried it in mx.

We did try it in the Arenacross race last weekend at Clark County, and it did extremely well. Reed dominated and won both motos, and he was the only one that could corner fast, without lifting the inside rear wheel off the ground. It seemed to handle the big jumps and the woops very well, also.

eastside 400
12-13-2009, 06:04 PM
so you used the Rath in a MX environment? i never really even though of them being used in MX but in theory it should work if it can hold up. I know a bunch of guys i race with are using the sonics and love them but hell if you can get the rath for a reasonable price it would be great

daddio
12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
The Rath swaybar worked extremely well once again. Reed again went 1-1, puting some distance between himself and 2nd place.
I can see where the swaybar is an advantage on a smooth track, with flat corners. And it doesn't seem to effect the handling in the bermed corners, jumps or woops.
The swaybar even survived a nasty wreck where Reed tried to triple in the rythem section, and didn't quite make it.

eastside 400
12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
are you running a TT torsion bar or did you get a softer one from rath when you got it?

daddio
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
We are using the std. 1/2" dia. one, but I have a stiffer one on the way to try.