PDA

View Full Version : polaris predator stumps me...

jpracer
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
got a polaris predator 2003 its got a cold air intake, dg slip on, hot cams stage 1 intake and exhaust, timing is dead on and shimmed right, carb was cleaned multiple times, stock carb, jetted 180 main needle 3rd ring down from top, running in 10-20 degree weather i can start it and run it for about 10 minutes and it kinda runs crappy as it warms up gets worse then all of a sudden randomly dies like it runs out of fuel. i pull the gas tank off and the plug is dry. i have spark and the compression seems good as the starter sometimes has trouble turning the motor over even with a fully charged bat, and usually if i let it sit for a long time in my 70 degree garage i can start it again but will do the same thing.

what is this?? can anyone help? im gonna bring it to a polaris service shop soon to see if they can figure it out but thought id ask on here first.

any other info needed just ask.

ScramblerXLE
12-07-2009, 05:21 PM
sounds like one of the lines to your fuel pump is pinched or not installed.

katch26
12-07-2009, 05:22 PM
under the front cab there are 2 black bags that are like fuse blocks. If they get condensation in them they will work until the point that they get warm then theyll disconnect. Id check your plug....is that 180 mikuni or dynojet...they run different as far as sizing goes. The machine has a fuel pump which, like anything, can go bad. Stock cdi? The batteries on these things need a FULL charge to be any good so if yours is then I would check the stator to make sure its charging properly. When it does run you said it runs crappy but where, as far as throttle position, does it really crap out?

also the petcock has a small screen filter so that would be another easy thing to check

jpracer
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I never saw a black bag in the front I only saw one back by the battery. The fuel pump seemed fine I got it at the shop ill see if the mechanic can figure anything out he said it's either electrical or fuel related. And is there anything I can do about hard starting in the cold?