PDA

View Full Version : HD Pocket Cam bar mount?

bkelley
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I was thinking about getting something like the Creative Vado HD and rigging up a way to mount it to my bars. I want to get some riding footage but don't want to fork over $300 for the HD helmet cams. The quality on the Vado is pretty amazing and you can pick them up for like $80 on eBay. I was thinking about building some sorta housing for the camera then mounting it on the bars with some u-bolts or something. It's got a threaded hole on the bottom for a tri-pod that might work for something, too. What do you guys think?

This is the Creative Vado HD:

http://digitalcameras.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/creative_vado_hd_720p_camcorder_1.jpg

It measures 3.3" x 7.9" x 6.3".

honda400ex2003
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
you should look into the ipod mounts and the gps mounts for stuff like the rhinos. it may fit your bars. it would clamp it in tight enough to hold an ipod so i am sure it would hold a cam too. just an option for you. steve

bkelley
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Just checked them out, looks like an excellent idea. I knew there had to be something like that out there, just didn't think about an iPod mount.

BRAD6160
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
You can get the GO PRO cams for 150, and they come with all kind of different ways to mount it.

bkelley
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, you can get the standard def ones for like $50 on eBay. I want high def, though, and the HD ones are like $250-$300. I can get the Vado for $80 off eBay and it records at 1280x720p resolution. It'll look ten times better than the standard GoPros. Plus I'm sure I'll use the Vado for other things as well.

dariusld
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't know anything about cameras, but here's my .02$.

That camera doesn't look as durable as the GoPro. I would think you would want your camera mounted as high as possible to keep it away from roost, IE, helmet mount. If you do mount it on your bars, don't ever roll it;)

bkelley
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
It's really not all that different. Internal memory is flash based so there are no moving parts and a lens is a lens, it's probably close to the same one as the GoPro HD. In fact, if you take the Vado and remove the screen, li-ion battery and accessory inputs, it'd basically be a GoPro. If I ever rolled it the $80 camera wouldn't worry me as much as a new set of plastics, bars, steering stem or a hospital bill would.