PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket replacment

Dune Surfer
01-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Well I hade my engine built about six months ago and I discovered my head gasket was leaking badly. I really wanted to try the replacment myself. So I bought a manual and a gasket and went for it. Let me tell you it's not so bad. It took me four hours including a valve adjustment. If you take your time and relax anybody could do it. My point is that I'm not Joe mechanic and I did it, so could you. The best part is getting it done and having it start right up!!! Going to Glamis next weekend, Screw the super Bowl, I'm gonna be ripping up the dunes.

Thanks for your advice Colby (C&D racing):)

RAPTORAZ
01-18-2003, 07:10 PM
What caused the head gasket to blow? Did you notice if any of the nuts were loose before you took it apart? Did you replace the studs this time? What gasket did you use? If one or more of your nuts was loose, then you'll probably be doing this job again soon. As factory head studs are notorious for stripping and backing off, thus blowing head gaskets.

Dune Surfer
01-18-2003, 07:36 PM
The studs seemed fine. They were in good shape. They all went back on perfect. I think the guy just put them with a air rachet.
I used a stock gasket. I ordered one from C&D but wanted to do it this weekend because some friends want to go to glamis next weekend. I'll keep a eye on it and if there is a problem I'll have an extra gasket.

RAPTORAZ
01-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
The studs seemed fine. They were in good shape. They all went back on perfect. I think the guy just put them with a air rachet.
I used a stock gasket. I ordered one from C&D but wanted to do it this weekend because some friends want to go to glamis next weekend. I'll keep a eye on it and if there is a problem I'll have an extra gasket.

Good luck on your trip. I'll be at Glamis tomorrow for 4 Stroke Wars. :D