PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle removel Stuck

rlbuhsjr
12-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I am trying to removel axle on my 2001 400ex to replace shot bearings and carrier took c-clip out and both nuts off, but the threaded part on brake hub will not come out I have tried beating on end of axle and wont move. I just bought this quad looks like has never been removed real lack of maintance by previous owner. Any suggestions on how to remove this axle.

dalejiw25
12-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Her ya go :

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

rlbuhsjr
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I have followed all instructions on this thread except on mine the axle will not move after hit with dead blow. Was trying to get idea on how to remove if axle is siezed in place.

fishnfergie
12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I just tore mine apart and it slid right off. The threaded part is spline and most likely is just seized from dry grease and dirt. Spray some pb blaster around and let it sit. Then whack it and it should slide out.

rlbuhsjr
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Been useing Kroil since sat. letting it soak to loosen it up I even took my dremil and cut the threads to try and loosen up yet no luck with moving axle. Is there any way the bearings being bad would cause the axle to not slide.

fishnfergie
12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah if the inner races rusted to the axle it would not slide out, but the threaded part should slide off separately

riotact
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Looks like it's time to get the dremel tool out with some cut off wheels on it.It is just a sleeve and it is froze to the splines.Just cut a straight line down the length of the threads and try not to go all the way through,then spin the axle 180 deg. and do the same thing then you should be able to get a big screw driver in there and spread it apart to loosen it up and it will slide off.The same thing happened to mine and that is how I got it off.It will be a pain in the ***** to do but take your time and you will get it.

12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
this sounds stupid as hell...but get a saw and cut it my friends axle was rusted on and we ended up having to do that. ,it took very long, but worked.

riotact
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
If you cut the sleeve off the axle you would'nt have to cut the axle in half.It will pound right out of the carrier once the threaded sleeve is gone even if the bearings are rusted to the axle.

rlbuhsjr
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I cut the threaded sleave yesterday and use more kroil and gave up all hope, but before going to work I covered in more kroil came home and pounded and pound thinking I was getting nowhere I measured with calipiers and was moving it .02 thousands at a time what seemed like 1500 hits with mallet it finally came loose as the mangled bearings fell out. What a relief.

12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
if you have things really tight heat it up with a map torch and then try it helps allot.

tony400ex
12-12-2009, 06:50 AM
dont use no dremil or a griner mine was stuck on from poor maintence from the other guy i bought it from , i brought it to my shop and used a torch to heat it up... the heat breaks the rust free etc alot easier to take of, just remeber one of the bolts is opposite thread on the disc side