PDA

View Full Version : picked up a 1996 300ex yesterday

XR200R
12-07-2009, 05:26 AM
should make a good platform for a project.

wireharness was hacked up pretty good, so i will replace all electronics.

has an aftermarket carrier, engine skid plate, new tires but ill change out the large 22's for some 18's -20's. has full maier plastics. has some kinda aluminum bars on it but they feel a tad low and a aftermark exhaust but gotta get the rust off there.

this is my 1st quad since 1998. im more into 3wheelers but this will make the g/f happy.

any ideas on things to buy for it. I dont ride MX so i now have intention of doing a full out MX quad. i right woods and bash trees, not much rocks at all, just dirt.

any one relocate the headlight, i dont like it on the bars too much.

XR200R
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
the bike was hot wired cuz they lost the key. (seems like everyone looses keys?) anyway i wanted to know where in the world to mount it. it has aftermarket front fenders and i see no hole to mount it, has aftermarket bars not sure if it mounted to the stock ones or not. also dont see any spot on the headlight to mount it.

so where in the world do i mount it? or is there some raceing way to rig it where i dont need it?

stuntin andy
12-07-2009, 07:37 AM
nice buy!!

who needs head lights any ways :cool:

you could drill a hole on one of the sides of the fenders just in frount of the fenders.

i would think about buying a 400ex front end and bigger shocks =)

XR200R
12-07-2009, 08:48 AM
well i needs a headlight to ride at night in the snow, its fun to ride show covered trails in the woods at dark.

i just didnt know where the stock key switch was mounted or what the guys who race do for that either.

i'd like to get it a little wider like 46" max seems to be 44" right now. my old 200x 3wheeler was 45" and nice for woods trails.

ive decided to find a set of either dunlop kt385 rears in 18" like the ltr450r's. road a blaster with them on and they hooked up nice. or maxxis razrs in 18's like my 200x had or fast trekkers in 18's.

im happy with the front shocks so far, no MX here. ill see if the guys i know has any 400ex stuff left over since he builds custom atv's and trikes. prob seen him on here as HRE-ATV.com

off to ebay to buy electronics!

stuntin andy
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
why don't you get the wally looking head lights and mount them under your fenders... i did that one year it looked and worked pretty good.

XR200R
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
why don't you get the wally looking head lights and mount them under your fenders... i did that one year it looked and worked pretty good.

:confused:

QuadCobbler
12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
For the key mounting location, you can drill a hole on either side of the plastic near the tank area to mount the new ignition. It is prety easy, I did that to mne. Or you and leave the two wires ( Red and Black) conected and just use the on off switch to shut it off. or you could leave the two wire conected and wire in a tether kill switch.

As for the head light you can get a 55 watt square fog lamp from wall mart and make a mounting tab under the front plastics. The light will shine through the front bumper. I have this done on mine as well. The bars look like renthal low rise off a dirt bike.

XR200R
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
i dont even have an ignition right now, i need to go thru the bike and see what all electronics i need to buy. just dont want anything spliced up.

maybe the headlights not as bad as it looks, takes some getting use to, thing is heavier then i muse to with 3wheelers and cant just lift it up and around obsitcales like i could on my 3wheelers.

would 18's be ok on the back of this thing? i dont really need it widened, an inch per side would be nice but nothing more then 46" its at 44" now with the tires.

needs new chain and sprockets too i noticed, sat out side last 3 months before i got it.

needs some grips too, they are turning on the bars.
prob could use a clutch cable, its not easy to pull.

QuadCobbler
12-08-2009, 05:41 AM
If your just trail riding I wouldn't go any less then 20s, I have fast trekers on the back 20s, but they messure out to be right around 19. If you go any less, you'll probly get hungup on every thing.

The head light does looke terible on the bars. I though it looked ok until I took mine off, then I relized I should have done that long ago.

XR200R
12-08-2009, 05:55 AM
I Had maxxis razr's on my 200x in 18" and they looked as big as my stock 400ex 20's.

i measued my rears which say 22" and they come out to be 20". my fronts say 21" and measure 21".

i can get dif tires all the time for nothing from a friend so ill try some dif types.

trying to figure out this bikes wiring before i change style up too much.

XR200R
12-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Just ordered new battery cables and fuse box yesterday off ebay, also got a new spark plug coil assy.

if the spark plug is loose and the plug cap came loose from the coil wire and you your battery terminal connections are not hooked up its not wonder the guy i bought it off said it had NO SPARK!!!!!!!

are wheel spacers good for woods riding? i cant see dumping 600-700 into an axle and a-arms to get me 1.5" wider on each side. i hardly jump either after fracturing my nect at 14 on a mX dirtbike.

i'd be lucky to get 5ft off th ground on this quad.

stuntin andy
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
the way i look at it is the wider your bike is the better.. the wider it is the more stability you have right?!?! it all depends on how wide your trails are just my .02

XR200R
12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
my custom build 1984 200x i build 2 years ago with a 300ex swingarm and axle was 52" wide haha.

im gonna try for no more then 47" in the rear

im a 3wheeler rider, these 4wheelers are stable as it is haha.

with the stock axle and stock rims, the 11" wide tires make me 45.5" wide vs stock 10" tires at 43.5.

ill got +3 but no wider.

Big_Guy_Green
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by stuntin andy
the way i look at it is the wider your bike is the better.. the wider it is the more stability you have right?!?!

Not quite IMO. The trails I ride are all pretty well rutted. Some of them are nothing more than a 4ft wide x 2ft deep rut in a hill lol. I've seen lots of quads try to ride these trails with aftermarket wheels and tires, and the tires on one side are in the ruts, while the others are up out of the ruts, and they end up going over on them.

Seriously consider the trails you'll be riding in most and set your quad up for that.

QuadCobbler
12-09-2009, 05:47 AM
It depends on who you ask on the wheel spacers, I've had wheel spacers before and ran flipped rims. My wheels didnt fall off my hubs didnt break and the world didnt come to an end. If you do go with wheel spacers you would b e further off getting the durablue or some thing similar. The are wheel spacers on e-bay that thred on to the stock wheel studs. They do work however I guess they've came loose on people and there studs break. Or g-force makes +1.5 rear hubs. The key is dont go crazy on the spacer's width, I dont think you will have a problem if your set on a 47" width. Later on you could get a set of 400ex a-arms and shocks, that would put your front around 45" or so. and a shock relocator, the 400ex shocks are longer.

XR200R
12-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I talked to my buddy who builds atvs and he said the 400ex front end swap is not so great. i'd be better off finding a set of used works shocks and a-arm. he is a hardcore builder so i dont know.

i'd have to look the swap up more. but im really fine with the 300 shocks, im only 135lbs and its not gonna get jumped hard.

ive had those screw on wheel spaceres like the CRJ style i think it was on my 200x when i had a offset 300ex swingarm made for it, got then 2" spacers and they neer came loose. in fact they were plated over the threads and were hard as hell to get on. im sure everything comes loose if people done serice their machines.

if i go with them i'll only do 1.5" on the rears and 2.0" on the front. that way if i go with tires that are not 10" tires later ill sit at 46.0-46.5 at the rear. and still be at 44" in the front.

im basicly trying to get my width the same as a 450r which is 46.3 stock so more on the trails are 46.5-47.0 with 11" wide tires like most have.

i could always design and have my oen spacers made which is not a problem but i think they will most more then a set of g force's

i do want to see how much extended hubs are. my goal was 1" per side in the rear only.

i do know 450r hubs fit on the 300ex and are about .125 shorter per offset

QuadCobbler
12-10-2009, 05:40 AM
I dont know what the deal is with the 400ex front end on the 300s. It seems like some peolpe say it wont work it is is not right, and other like it. I've had the 400ex front end on my 300 for about a year now, and It works fine for me. The only problem I notice is if you set the front end ride height to the same as a 400ex when you turn the bars the tie rod wants to pull up on the hub. I fixed this by making my own shock relocator and lower the front of the bike down about 1.5".

You cold always do a 350x rear swinger swap or a 400ex/450 swap. That would put the rear width at about 46 or 47.

XR200R
12-10-2009, 06:11 AM
350x's use the same axle as 250x and 300ex's. i prefere non link rear ends.

if i go with +1 billet wheelspacers ill be at 46" even. if i go with +1.5 billet wheelspacers on the front ill be at 43" even.

i might buy a +2 axle if i can get a used one at a decent price.

for $100 i can widen the bike with billet wheelspacers, not cheap stud spacers.

when i drop off for some removel of tabs im going see about having my buddy at HRE-atv.com make me a set of +2 a-arms.

ive noticed you cannot replace ball joints on the stock a-arms and since mine prob need rebuilding i might as well go with the correct set up.

either way i've figured out the width i was looking for lsat night so ill be just a tad under what the stock 450r's and thats the size i was shooting for!

stuntin andy
12-10-2009, 07:12 AM
i had the same problem with my ball joints i just bought a cheap pair of +2 A-Arms

XR200R
12-10-2009, 07:33 AM
any pics of your a-arms? or brand?

stuntin andy
12-10-2009, 07:36 AM
ya i have a postr on the 300ex section "red rider re build" they are in there but i was told they where burgurd but they arnt.... they are jd or somehting

stuntin andy
12-10-2009, 07:39 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=416146&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

XR200R
12-10-2009, 07:43 AM
i like the a-arms width. how wide is your front?

+2 +0 or +2 +1. i cant tell.

stuntin andy
12-10-2009, 07:47 AM
the a arms are on a diffrent bike and they are +2 i dont know what the wheel backe on my bike ill be when i put them on

XR200R
12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
let me know how wide it is once you do it asuming your using 300ex spindles and stock wheels.

stuntin andy
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
im using 400ex spendels just for the extra length ^.^....and its gonna be a while because im painting the a arms black instead of red

trx300exRDR
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by XR200R
the bike was hot wired cuz they lost the key. (seems like everyone looses keys?) anyway i wanted to know where in the world to mount it. it has aftermarket front fenders and i see no hole to mount it, has aftermarket bars not sure if it mounted to the stock ones or not. also dont see any spot on the headlight to mount it.

so where in the world do i mount it? or is there some raceing way to rig it where i dont need it? i rolled my 300 over and it smashed the headlight bracket, so i ripped it off and i was left with those two holes for the bracket. I custom fabricated a neat little aluminum piece with my key in the middle an my reverse an neutral lights on the side. its real clean cut, i can get a pic if you want

4x4_war
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
lets see a pic of that trx300exRDR

XR200R
09-20-2010, 06:41 AM
update...heres the list. try and get a pic shortly.

1996 300ex build list

-HRE gusted stock frame
-HRE aluminum air box
-2008 Yamaha YFZ450 front brake master cylinder
-Burgard 300ex +2 arms
-Lonestar 300ex billet dual row bearing carrier
-DuraBlue 2+2 axle
-Renthal trx450r bars
-BOSS steering stem bearing and seals
-BOSS front wheel bearings and seals
-Scott grips
-Maier front race cut front fenders
-Maier rear fenders
-Maier 1988/89 Honda TRX250r hood w/ modded to fit 300ex light
-Powered coated frame, swingarm, foot pegs, battery tray, rear brake pedal, rear
caliper stay
-DuraBlue Posi-lock Honda TRX rear locking nut
-2001 Suzuki RM80 rear master cylinder reservoir
-AC racing XC wide grab bar 300ex
-Eastcoast atv 300ex rear caliper block off plate
-Honda TRX400ex tire rods
-TC exhaust pipe (we belive?)
-Supertrapp ISD2 muffler
-Curtis Sparks modified black box
-Clark plastic fuel tank
-Eastcoast atv swingarm complete bushing kit
-EK520SRO O-ring chain