PDA

View Full Version : Counter Balancer

chrisxuereb1978
12-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi,

Having problems with oil leaking into the side cover where thestator is. After running the bike for a while a considerable amount of oil leaks. It seems to be coming from the counter balancer holder. I have already replaced the bearings and O ring on the balancer and holder. When I first bought the bike the 3 loops which tie the holder down broke so I guess there was some vibration there. Now i'm thinking whether the bore of the housing that holdes the bearing holder got slightly bigger resulting in a loose fit of the holder.

If this is the case, was thinking of refilling my bearing holder and have it CNC machined for a tighter fit.

I'm lost. Any thoughts?:ermm:

86 Quad R
12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
how much of an effort is it to slide the counter balancer into position? typically on a pocket thats not whollered will be rather tite in trying to get it into place. are you absolutely sure that oil is not coming into the stator area from the crank seal? :cool:

chrisxuereb1978
12-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Well...... Might as well replace the crank seal too while i'm at it. The fit isn't what I would call loose, infact you have to kind of push on it to git into place. I placed an order for an ESR bearing holder anyway as needed it just the same. But I will check the crank seal to make sure. Thanks.

deathman53
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I had the same thing, the hole was whallowed out. Nothing you are gonna do, short of replacing case half. A larger o-ring may reduce the problem. I ran mine for 2 years with the case like that, I loosened the stator cover and drain the oil out and checked oil level(tranny side) before every ride.

chrisxuereb1978
12-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Might have solved it! Still have to run it though. A friend of mine machined a billet replacement holder to fit the hollowed out hole! Now it's a really tight fit :D

http://www.penoflife.com/Motor-Sports/Malta-Quad-Bike-Association/Quadbikes-2009-12-06/10581317_Hn6N7#735303021_bGCZL