PDA

View Full Version : 39 FCR, No Go!

Turbo B
01-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey, I know this is going to sound kind of stupid, but I'll ask it anyway. I just finally got around to installing my 39 FCR on my 400EX. My problem is that the carb will not take any fuel. I have ensured that fuel is flowing freely to the carb. The motor will only start for a second or two on starting fluid, then die. As such, I have good spark ( I tested the new plug that I put in).

Here is my question: Is there anyway to prime the carb? It seems to me that the accelerator pump needs to be primed to begin pumping fuel first. If that is the case, how do you prime it?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am probably going to miss a good riding day if I can't get this fixed ASAP.:mad:

nakomis0
01-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Theres nothing to prime.

Take it off and check all the jets, making sure there is nothing blocking them. Sounds pretty crazy to me.

I kinda think your not getting fuel to the carb for some reason, or maybe theres a huge air leak, like you didnt screw the carb together well.

Actually.... open up the float bowl at the bottom of the carb.. any gas in there?

jerry-89-250R
01-18-2003, 07:30 PM
are you giving it gas when trying too start it, on mine you have too twist the throttle when cranking, pull the carb off give it gas with your throttle and see if a stream of gas shoots out

Turbo B
01-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I am giving it gas while cranking. In fact at first I thought that I may have flooded it so I pulled the plug out to see, and it was bone dry. This is what led me to believe that the carb was not drawing in any fuel. There was never any odor of gas while I was cranking it over for a long time either. I poured a little gas into the fuel inlet on the carb ( the barbed elbow) and it sucked that in and fired and then immediately died. I tried this again and the fuel just remained in the fuel inlet without even being drawn into the carb at all.

I am quite confused. I was doubtful that I could have had a blocked jet, as was suggested. However, I will have to eliminate that possibility when I look at it again tomorrow.

nakomis0
01-18-2003, 09:37 PM
ya check for gas in that bowl too. If theres gas in the bowl than you know the problem is from the main jet up.

If there is no fuel in the bowl than the problem is from the gas intake spout to the bowl.

Turbo B
01-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys, I appreciate it. I was under the impression that this carb was pretty much a bolt on deal. I was curious if anyone else has had a similar problem? I don't know, maybe I expected too much.:(

Sick0
01-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Did you turn the gas on.:devil Start with the simple stuff first. Is the gas tank filter clogged.

nakomis0
01-19-2003, 09:16 AM
A carb is a simple bolt on BTW, I think yours is just FUBAR.

d-14 rider 27
01-20-2003, 02:25 PM
your float valve might be stuck shut and not allowing any gas in, otherwise when mine wouldnt take anyu fuel i tipped the quad on its side like the dirt bike guys do when they flood them, and then shake it a lil bit then give it 3 pumps of throttle and hit the button.

joeroadking
01-20-2003, 04:25 PM
the float is clearly stuck take off the bowl and inspect it!

Turbo B
01-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
the float is clearly stuck take off the bowl and inspect it!

Yes, I would agree with this hypothesis. However, with the risk of sounding like an idiot, pray tell where is the float?! I am very unfamiliar with these flat slide carbs. I have already had the bottom of the carb off to see if there was any fuel in the bowl and much to my suprise all I had discovered in there was the linkage assembly for the throttle. Seeing as how gravity works and all, wouldn't it be logical to assume that there should be fuel down in here? Or should I be looking somewhere toward the top of the carb? Holy crap this is confusing:confused:! I have never had a carb like this so I am a little leary on troubleshooting it. Ah well.

joeroadking
01-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Turbo B
Yes, I would agree with this hypothesis. However, with the risk of sounding like an idiot, pray tell where is the float?! I am very unfamiliar with these flat slide carbs. I have already had the bottom of the carb off to see if there was any fuel in the bowl and much to my suprise all I had discovered in there was the linkage assembly for the throttle. Seeing as how gravity works and all, wouldn't it be logical to assume that there should be fuel down in here? Or should I be looking somewhere toward the top of the carb? Holy crap this is confusing:confused:! I have never had a carb like this so I am a little leary on troubleshooting it. Ah well. I am sorry to say that I am unfamiler with th fcr carbs but every carb, I have ever seen has a float in the base of the carb inside the float bowl typiclly plastic and on either side of the mainjet, this floats up and shuts fuel off when bowl fills, but I would wait and see if some one here that is more familer with the fcr carbs replys as a good test several ways to test if there is fuel in the carb bowl crack the throttle when lookig in the back of carb with air box disconnected and you should see aspray of fuel from the accelarator pump,disconnect the fuel line at the gas tank shut off and blow with your mouth into carb there should be no restriction if the float is down

01-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Total shot in the dark here but,,,,,,, could it be installed upside down ?

lilpoppy
01-20-2003, 08:21 PM
you have it installed upside down. If you take the bottom cover off you will see a bowl with a float and 2 jets. Try flipping it over and your problems will be solved.

nakomis0
01-20-2003, 09:14 PM
LMFAO...upside down!... thats gotta be a first.:blah oh geez thats a good one.:p

I like this part..

" I have already had the bottom of the carb off to see if there was any fuel in the bowl and much to my suprise all I had discovered in there was the linkage assembly for the throttle."

Welp, ya learn something new everyday.:square

DEAL
01-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Take it easy on the poor guy, Atleast hes learnin

bmw500hp
01-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Total shot in the dark here but,,,,,,, could it be installed upside down ?

Lenny....now it's time to turn that fat wallet upside down and get an fcr for your winter project! lol

lilpoppy
01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Ya take it easy on him guys. Not all of us have been fortunate enough to be working on these things all our lives. Some of us are just starting to learn.

Turbo B
01-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Well, it looks like I'm a monkey's uncle after all! I would sure bet that the carb is installed upside down! Whatever. I did consider that I may have had the thing upside down but it looked like it wouldn't have fit properly around the electric starter motor and the cylinder. Either way, as much of an idiot that I feel like right now, thanks for the suggestion. I'll flip that bad boy over tomorrow when I get a chance and post the results. But I really think that I probably just #$%ed it up in my haste to install it and go for a ride.

Ah, I've just taken a deep breath and I'm ready for the jokes. GO AHEAD AND LET THEM FLY:devil !! The one thing that I'm not upside down on is the fact that I had better unsubscribe from this thread. My e-mail memory is sure to exceed its capacity from all the jokes that I'm about to become the butt of!:p

nakomis0
01-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Take it easy on the poor guy, Atleast hes learnin

:devil :devil We are takin it easy, everybody should be able to appreciate a little friendly harassing.:devil :devil:blah

01-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Lenny....now it's time to turn that fat wallet upside down and get an fcr for your winter project! lol Winter project hmmm its too cold for projects and barely able to ride in this freakin polar blast of bs cold stuff LOL.

Was thinking on this carb but hey you knew that anyway. ;)

And let us know for sure this was your problem b4 you take refuge from the inevitable :)

motoboy66
01-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Hey don't feel bad; we all make a mistake, that’s how we learn. I once put the whole top-end together on my CR500, just to take it all apart again. I was getting ready to kick it over the first time when my girl friend said, "What are these for?" I forgot to put both circlips in the piston. I will never miss the circlips in any engine I put together ever again. I hope you solve your troubles and get that quad running. Latter

YZROOSTINYA
01-21-2003, 04:17 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

you put it on upside down:D :D :D

that is funny stuff, well at least you got it running right?

let us know how much of a diff it makes

Sparks425Ex
01-21-2003, 05:32 AM
That just made my hole day. I started reading the post and seeing what other ppl have posted so i could give him some info but by the time I get to the bottom I see what you did..

Thanks That made my day. I can;t stop laughing.

Easy Mistake to make tho. Cause when right side up the carb pushes on the gas tank. You have to make somthing to hold up the gas tank

joeroadking
01-21-2003, 06:34 AM
we all make mistakes from time to time that is funny no flame intended,was feeling kind of down today and this put a smile on my face today thanks

Steve-o 400EX
01-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by jerry-89-250R
are you giving it gas when trying too start it, on mine you have too twist the throttle when cranking, pull the carb off give it gas with your throttle and see if a stream of gas shoots out

Be careful doing that, i did it and shot meself in the eye, NOT COOL.:rolleyes:

01-21-2003, 09:52 PM
and shot meself in the eye, NOT COOL

LMFAO Youl shoot yer eye out

funny stuff

Turbo B
01-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Thankfully I do have a sense of humor so I don't take any of this stuff to heart!

I started another thread titled: No laughing, please! In it I describe the whole FCR experience on my otherwise stock quad.

Thanks for showing me which way was up! I owe you guys one.

powerslider
01-22-2003, 05:58 PM
:D :D :D :D No offense intended but I am busting a gut here, I would have liked to seen a picture of that. Didn't know it was possible..

This could be the classic of the year, send it to the FAQ's lol...

Turbo B
01-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Actually, if I did have a picture of it you would see that it clearly fits the space better upside down! Serious it does. Only problem is that it won't carburate too well in that precarious position.

I hope that this does go in FAQ. I always wanted to be famous:rolleyes: !