PDA

View Full Version : Lt80 just clicks when trying to start

civiccrazy
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
I replaced the rollers in the clutch, I put everything back together and the quad would not start. After turning it over for a total of about 10 minutes the battery died. So, after I got a new battery and charged it up put it in all that happens now is the relay clicks. So now, I am wondering whats wrong with it not turning over now? I'm thinking maybe the relay is bad? Please help me out.

ryans760
12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
On the right side of the frame (right under the gas tank) there is a red and white wire connected to the frame. If you unplug the white connector and run a hot wire to the side that is connected to your starter this will bypass the relay and the ignition. Your starter should turn over and that will let you know if the starter is still good. I had this same problem and this is how I did it so I'm sure it works ( mine ended up being the starter, Hopefully its not the same for you) Hope this helps!

LT80
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
If you stand the machine on end you can jump it right at the starter.

civiccrazy
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok, I jumped the starter and it turns over. Does that mean the relay is bad? I took the relay off and shook it and there is stuff loose inside the relay. If that helps any.

civiccrazy
12-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Any help please?

I had a relay laying around for some projector headlights I had. I put that relay in and it did the same thing. Just clicked.

I ran a wire from the connector under the gas tank to the hot on the battery and the starter turned over.

So my guess is bad wiring or something from the relay to at least the connector under the gas tank?

civiccrazy
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
should I just give up and get a pull start?

ryans760
12-10-2009, 07:10 AM
If you look at the relay and see where the two thick guage wires go into the relay pigtail, these go from the battery to the relay and then to the starter, you can use another thick guage wire and make a connection from one pin to the other. Just make sure that you go from one thick wire to the other and not to a small wire because you will probably fry something. this will tell you if the wiring from the relay to the starter is good. if this works and turns the starter then it will probably be your relay that's bad. hope this helps.

bradrenea
12-11-2009, 08:45 PM
There is a circuit breaker under the right rear fender, if you are sitting on the quad. (It is in addition to the relay) If you push in on it it should reset. When I got mine the guy thought the motor was locked up because it would not start. When I got it home I found the circuit breaker and removed it and used a jumper wire and it started.
It was about a week later that I figured out what I removed was a circuit breaker and it could be reset, It just looks loke a small box with no visible buttons. You push the part that faces the rear of the quad in to reset it.

Mine has tripped the breaker once again when the motor was flooded and I cranked on it for a while. Reset it and it was fine again.

Hope this helps you out.

civiccrazy
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Alright. I replaced the relay it turned over a couple of times after i put it on. The starter sounnds really weak, it is just barely turning over. It is a brand new battery so i know its not that. So is there something wrong with the starter? I tok it out tonight but i dont know what i should be looking for if something is wrong.

LT80
12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Stick the starter in a vise and use a 12 volt supply to spin the starter.
I'd think the starter is bad seeins you got it to spin after installing the new relay.
Get on ebay. They have starters. :)

You do have a good ground from the frame to motor..right?!?

civiccrazy
12-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I am pretty sure i have good ground. I haven't touched or moved anything. I will try to put the starter in a vise.

LT80
12-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I think it's the starter. :(

civiccrazy
12-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Good! i'm getting tired of messing with it. What is the easiet way to test the starter? Put it in a vise and where should I get the 12V supply?

LT80
12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
A battery/jumper cables or battery charger seems to work for me. :)

civiccrazy
12-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Sounds good. Ill test it later today.

civiccrazy
12-20-2009, 11:45 AM
OK, tested the starter it was bad. Got a new one, put it on, and it started right up. Thank you very much. Now I have another problem. I replaced the rollers in the clutch, that was what I originally did. Now the clutch seems to slip and sometimes not work at all. Is there something I could have done wrong to make it do that?

LT80
12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing that the roller plate may be spinning on the crankshaft (keyway not aligned or slipped out). Better investigate.

civiccrazy
12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I figured it out. The rear clutch wasn't put together all the way right. Thanks for the reply