PDA

View Full Version : electrical mechanical or what im lost

infrontofu
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
i posted pics of the quad last week when i bought it.it would start and run but very porely wouldnt rev past 1/4 throttle and wouldnt idle.quad hadnt ran for 19 yrs or so..pulled the engine done a complete rebuild new crank bearings and seals [took the crank to the dealer for new rod and to be trued] fresh bore and wiseco piston new gaskets and seals and bearings through out.took the carb to the dealer and got it boiled out so it is 100% clean i recleaned it when i got it back [did notice the air screw is froze in its hole could be problematic but not for these issues]
reinstalled motor today fired on the 4th kick but runs exactly as it did before the rebuild..im 99% sure it is an electrical issue.i cant swap parts off my outher quad it has the cr250 set up on it.
i bought a cdi and coil from downtowndiesel to try out when it gets here.do any of you guys have any advice on what to check.
it does start and run starts 1 kick
can the cdi partially crap out?
can the coil partially crap out?
it has one of the ricks cdi boxes on it and the coil is not stock it is white[in color]
the ground seems ok and i checked all the conectors there tight.
the ground is bolted to where the front fender bracket bolts to the frame if it matters.
it just wont revi can hold it wide open it just sputters and cuts out it cant be reving over 3 or 4 k.thanks for any suggestions

RyanWsly
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
You did make sure the exhaust is open? The exhaust pressure will not blow out a mouse nest, it plugs it tighter.

infrontofu
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
pipe is clean ive bought a complete ignition system that is supposedly good will try that when it gets here.only thing i didnt replace during the rebuild was the reeds they looked good not frayed and all looked to be shut good..im looking for a carb to try as well.

bullet225ho
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I say CDI

When I got my first R it did the same thing. swapped over a buddies CDI and ran like a champ.

I bought a CDI from ebay and it's running good now.