PDA

View Full Version : 07 Outlaw IRS suspension questions

micah78
12-06-2009, 10:37 AM
It's been awhile since I've been on here but I've decided I want to do something about the suspension on my 07 525 IRS. I've always thought that the ride was a little stiff on my Outlaw. I've read alot of threads about guys buyin new shocks or having their stock shocks revalved along with different springs. I'm not a racer, just a recreational rider thats looking for a softer ride. Right now I've got alot of projects going on at my house and don't feel I've got the extra $$ for aftermarket shocks. I was wondering if I could just buy 4 springs that are softer than the stockers? If so, where can I buy the springs?Will just springs alone without revalving make a big difference?

My stock shocks are the Ryde FX with the orange springs. I'm 5'11" and right around 195 lbs. Thanx in advance for your help! :cool:

TYLER329
12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I believe C&D Racing can respring and revalve your Ryde FX shocks. Call Colby at 402-614-2508.

micah78
12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
anyone else have any suggestions? I talked with C&D and they quoted me a price of $650 for just springs. I guess I'm just a cheapazz, but that seems like an awful lot of money for 4 springs. Hell, I got an entire suspension kit for my Tacoma for $1100 that included shocks, coils, leaf springs, shackles, bushings, exhaust hanger, brake line, and bolts.

Polaris 450MXR
12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I would agree that atv stuff is overpriced. there has always got to be an alternative. There has got to be spring manufactures that are out there? I would love to respring my quad as well and I am also cheap is there any spring people out there?

SSJEFF
12-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by micah78
anyone else have any suggestions? I talked with C&D and they quoted me a price of $650 for just springs. I guess I'm just a cheapazz, but that seems like an awful lot of money for 4 springs. Hell, I got an entire suspension kit for my Tacoma for $1100 that included shocks, coils, leaf springs, shackles, bushings, exhaust hanger, brake line, and bolts.

If you look springs up online they are expensive. basically the size spec for Quad springs are right in line with what Nascars use and stuff. They are quality springs which seem to have a little to do with the price. Main springs be around $70 per spring and tenders are $30. Shock guys like C&D have their hands tied trying to give you a good deal concidering they cannot get the springs any cheaper.

I know there is a thread on another site were a member has posted the spring rates for all the polaris springs. This might be helpful to you. PM for more info.

micah78
12-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a little bit cheap!! The price I was quoted was for triple rate springs which I'm not sure is really necessary. All I want is four springs that will allow my Outlaw to maintain the stock ground clearance and ride a little smoother through the woods and creeks where I ride. I basically want my outlaw to ride more like my uncles Sportsman. I know it sounds lame but, I like the speed, power, and light weight of my Outlaw and also like how smooth my uncles Sportsman goes through the woods.

SSJEFF
12-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by micah78
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a little bit cheap!! The price I was quoted was for triple rate springs which I'm not sure is really necessary. All I want is four springs that will allow my Outlaw to maintain the stock ground clearance and ride a little smoother through the woods and creeks where I ride. I basically want my outlaw to ride more like my uncles Sportsman. I know it sounds lame but, I like the speed, power, and light weight of my Outlaw and also like how smooth my uncles Sportsman goes through the woods.

My whole goal and budget is CHEAP lol. The reason they quoted the tripple rate is you can tune them to what you want more easily as one spring has one or two spring rates over a length of travel were the dual and tripple packages offer way more progression which you need on a quad. A dual rate package would also be helpful but you might need the tripple so the springs do not come off the retainers at full extension. It is possible to get that good a ride but the sprotsman will probably not compare to the outlaw if C&D does the shocks and I am sure it will blow your mind. Everyone who rides my IRS Outlaw with a custom setup loves it. Once you ride a quad with custom suspension you will never be satisfied with stock.

TYLER329
12-08-2009, 07:08 AM
I would say if you aren't going to do the shocks right than don't mess with it. There is more to it than just swapping out springs. You aren't going to get a Outlaw to ride like a Sportsman. That would be like trying to get a Vette to ride like a Silverado. Like I said I would do it right or save your money.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Believe me I am not happy about the price of springs either. You are right you can get truck springs just as cheap, but the quality of a spring has a lot to do with the price. The wire for the springs we use has to be imported, since no one in the US makes wire that can pass standards. The springs we use are also manufactured to a high standard, a lot of springs are made cheaper by not fully closing the loop at both ends, if this is not done then the spring is not going to be a straight rate it will be progressive until that loop is closed in travel. Cheaper springs will take a set length over time and not return to there original length. Cheaper springs will also not allow for full compression of the spring (taking it to coil bind) without damaging the spring. So are there people selling and using cheaper springs sure but you get what you pay for problem is as the customer they all look the same to us when they are powder coated.

To answer the other question you will get a lot better ride quality from a triple rate spring setup than a single rate because we can make it soft with good bottoming resistance. The cost of the spring kits also includes billet aluminum spring separators and additional billet crossover rings for tuning.

SSJEFF
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Colby, don't you shorten the rear bodies on the IRS shocks too? I had heard that.

If you want to get rid of the bucking I would save and spend money on the shocks before any other mods.

micah78
12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanx for the explanation on the quality of your springs Colby. I just didn't realize that it would cost so much money to smooth out the ride on my Outlaw. Now that I'm married with a house that needs repairs it's kinda tough to tell the wife that I want to drop a grand on my quad shocks to make it ride smoother! Thanx for the help guys. If I come across some extra money to spend on my shocks, I know who to call.:cool:

Colby@C&DRacing
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
We can and do shorten the shock bodies on the outlaws it just depends on what the customer is looking to do.

brucealmighty33
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
South Side Sales can revalve any shock, respring it, or they also can get fox floats at a pretty good dollar for the front. I raced a 525 outlaw for 5 rounds this season just for fun, and finished inside the top 5 each time, and all we did was revalve the rear and respring the fronts.