PDA

View Full Version : picked up my 400ex today

mineralgrey01gt
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Well i went to get it today and it ended up being in pretty decent shape for $550. Its an 02 yellow 400ex. I cant complain, the guy didnt have it running but after a carb cleaning and a new sparkplug (which was a complete pain in the *** to change) it fired up. Its backfiring kinda bad but seemed to clear up a little. I got started on it late and the supertrapp on it makes a little noise so i couldnt really ride it tonight. The clutches feel out of whack a little, not sure whats up with that. It goes in first good but will pop back up into neutral and the clutch feels extremely soft and kinda sloppy. Not sure if its the clutch or the shifter fork. Ill figure it out someday. Ill have pics up of it sometime in the future. Its a little beat up. BTW what do you guys do for an aftermarket grab bar? I noticed the grab bar is solid to the frame.

rdtrp13
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Grab Bar: they are bolt on, they go around the outside of the original and attach with u bolts

mineralgrey01gt
12-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by rdtrp13
Grab Bar: they are bolt on, they go around the outside of the original and attach with u bolts

oh really? Hmm well ill just make this stock one look decent again with a little paint for now. I never knew that about them, my bro and i didnt know what to think lol

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
if you are interested in getting a nice grab bar that bolts on check out prm-atv.com they have a bunch of different types of bars for the hundys. have fun with the new ride. you will enjoy it for a long time. sounds like you have had a bit of trouble with a 250r by the sounds of your sig. lol. steve

mineralgrey01gt
12-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
if you are interested in getting a nice grab bar that bolts on check out prm-atv.com they have a bunch of different types of bars for the hundys. have fun with the new ride. you will enjoy it for a long time. sounds like you have had a bit of trouble with a 250r by the sounds of your sig. lol. steve

lol nah no trouble man just parted it out because i broke the frame almost in 1/2 from not running a rear motor mount (should have listened about that one) The 400 isnt quite as peppy as the 250r was but its a fun kind of torque it has, enough to keep me busy till the next 250r or after i graduate when i go after the ktm 450

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
yup it is awesome to have a bit of torque to play with all the time. it is totally different than a 250. i think it will be a welcomed change once you get used to not blipping the throttle like on a two stroke. steve

rocky_mtn_honda
12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
mineral...sent you a pm

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2009, 04:57 PM
update, actually got it shifting just fine today. The shifter wheel was loose as can be causing it to vibrate and jump in and out of gear. Now it rolls threw all 5 just fine. Pretty fun little bike. I need tires on it and to lower it a little, still sits a little high for my taste. Ive heard with the 04-05 450r shock and stock 450r shock linkage it will lower it about 35-40mm so that should sit me right in the rear. The front ill go a size lower on the tires to get me a little lower.