PDA

View Full Version : Kenda Knarly XC

CJM
12-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I really wanted to take advantage of rocky mtns deal for a full tire/wheel combo-but it appears according to the girl I chatted with they stopped
carrying 21x11x9 kenda knarly.

I also used kenda dominators on another atv and liked them-thoughts on those for the 400? Have carlise turf tamer 18's now and feel they are way to small for my trail riding needs.

Sucks cause I really wanted to save a few dollars and get the whole deal mounted and ready..dang it. Anyone know another site that offers combo packages?

Also Looking at douglass quad rock wheels or the .190 wheels. I only trail ride and never race, am pretty abusive on stuff tho. Do I need a 10x8 or 9x8 wheel. Any real advantage over the stock size of 9x8?

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&prodFamilyId=22236#vehicleSelect

it says they still have some in stock. I would buy them if you want them. If they call and say they are back ordered or something then just get your money back. steve

CJM
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Yea, I can order the tires-problem is when I try and select wheel combo it wont even show up with the knarlys as an option.

Girl I chatted with says they got 1 tire left in that size and discontinued them.

Hence my dilemma..

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
oh you didnt say they only had one left. i bought seperate ones and they mounted them for me when i got my .190s and my mudsharks. they were not a set but i think you could choose to pay a bit more to have them mounted. steve

CJM
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Yea, really stinks tbh. I dunno why they stopped carrying the size. I found the same tires on bike bandit so im happy-no mounting tho.

Opinions on wheels? if I run a 21x11x9 tire I assume I need to buy a 10x9 wheel to make them fit okay as a 9 inch wheel will make them a wee bit skinny. I never bought tires myself, always dealer did it for me.

Which reminds me, I do have access to a shop with a tire machine-but its for cars. Its the type that clamps the rim down thru the lughole and then uses the arm to mount them-may work idk-otherwise I got tire irons but that sucks imho.

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
There really isnt a difference in rim sizes either just less area on the rubber to puncture i guess. They look a bit better in my opinion since it evens out the front and back but they are heavier than a smaller rim with more rubber. the tire seems to sit a bit flatter too on the wider rim imo. you could also check out denniskirk and magic racing for tire deals also. steve

honda400ex2003
12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
273 with the discount thing for a set of rears from magic racing. I dont know what they should be from rocky though. I am not sure what fronts you are looking at either so i can only give you one link

http://www.magicracing.com/Kenda_c_1203.html

steve

CJM
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the help steve. Hate to admit it, but im kinda confused right now about all of this

Keeping the fronts, 22x7x10 dunlops with alot of tread left. Reason im changing out the rear is it has offset douglass beadlocks I dont like and tires are way to small.

Maybe im reading into it all wrong since im used to car sizes?

Correct me if im wrong, but if I buy a 20x11x9 tire it works out like this: the tire is 20 inches tall, 11 inches wide and mount to a 9 inch wheel? Cause everything I find keeps putting me back to an 8 inch wheel it seems? Therefore probably why im having issues with the combo I want. Kendas site doesnt even list an 8 inch knarly

Magic racing is allowing me to select a 20x11x9 tire and a 9x8 wheel? doesnt seem right, doesnt seem like it would mount?

Im so utterly confused. Maybe I should choose another tire or something...

katch26
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
is RM discontinuing it or is Kenda thats the question. They change styles so often it wouldnt surprise me if it was them....and replaced it with the Kutters that looks to cover the same bases

CJM
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Kendas site shows a 22 or 21 x11x9 tire, so i think its RM or kendas site isnt current.

ETA, Alright after checking out these more and more it seems they basically arent really making them much anymore in the combo I want.

I switched to kenda klaws after reading alot of reviews on RM and some dwt quad rock wheels.

Overall package im looking at is 20x11x10 kenda klaws and dwt quad rocks in 10x8. This combo shouldnt kill the lowend power ive got. tbh i dont have a clue if my sprockets are stock-but with the 18 turf tampers the 400 moves like hell.

btw i am to assume that 8 inches is width of the wheel and 10 inches is the height? Cause that would clear up a hell of alot of bs im having atm.

katch26
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
yeah thats a 10" wheel 8" width.....10" rears arent as common so it really can limit tire availability

CJM
12-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Yea im starting to understand that.

What a pain in the *** this is. Car tires are so much easier, all you need is wheel diameter and width and you can put dang near anything on there.

So yea to clarify before I drop the cash, this should fit and work properly?

I have 2 choices:
A. Kenda klaw xc tires in 20x11x10, douglass quad rock wheels in 10x8. seems like it will fit

B. Kenda klaw, 20x11x8, douglass .190s in 8x8. wheel is 8in diameter and 8 in wide???

Im leaning towards combo A.

Ok, got it all figured out thanks to this site http://www.weeksmotorcycle.com/atv-tires.html that explains the measurements of atv wheels and tires. Seems everything should fit :) i think.

rooster300ex
12-05-2009, 01:10 PM
20-11-8 fits an 8x8 rim
20-11-9 fits a 9x8 or 9x9 rim
20-11-10 fits 10x8,10x9 or 10x10 rim

The 20 is the tallness of the tire
The 11 is the width of the tire
the 8,9 or10 is the rim size the tire will mount on

hope this clears up somethings

CJM
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
^ Thank you!

400man
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd like to try those new Gforce wheels. they are made similar to the stock wheels with the rolled edge and im sure they could handle some abuse.

looks like you got your mind set on kenda, but I would suggest a set of regular maxxis razr 6 ply tires, very good all around tire for any kind of trail conditions and they last a long time.

CJM
12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Its mostly cause ive had kenda before and loved them. Have 2 sets of dominators on my zuk 230 and they never gave me a problem.

I ride mostly hard packed sand with some mud and thats mainly what Im looking for in a tire. Also they claim they are reversible to run in loose pack stuff-going out to coal mines in PA near me I need that.

Maxxis razr 6 ply is a bit to heavy and tall for my tastes too. There is always next time or I can swap with a friend to see. Always can resell too.

As for the g-force wheels, they look interesting but I couldnt find much info on them-I always buy what people review rather than be the guinea pig.

I appreciate everyones help and advice here. Its nice not going to a dealer anymore to get stuff done!