PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Problems

zip69_1999
12-05-2009, 05:25 AM
2000 TRX400EX, attempted to replace my front brakes and ran into a problem, plunger works perfectly, but when I took off the rubber boot to adjust the slider, the slider was rusted tight, the hex headed bolt wouldn't move, is there any hope to save the calipers or do I need to buy new calipers.

bigbad400
12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
i got them loose once with some slow steady heat and a couple good blows from a hammer to loosen em up. i had spares thow so i wasnt worried about breaking it. id say if you got a wood stove set it on top of the wood stove for like 20 min and flash cool it in a five gallon pale of water. the two different kinds of metal will pop away from eachother. good luck. you may end up buying a new one anyhow.

remember not to let it get real hot cause all the rubber seals and like in there will be toast.

zip69_1999
12-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks I will try that, I figured the two different metals could be broken apart, but was unsure of how, I have already purchased some replacements, should be here in a week, gonna give it a try though, would be nice to have spares, anyhow, got my work cut out for me, just got in my revalved rear shock, 4" Oil cooler fan, brake/clutch levers, 12mm tie rods. Hope to ride again as soon as the weather starts playing nice.