PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear

rigger
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I have only had my R out for just a few little short rides since her build. I noticed that sometimes shifting from first to second it can be kind of hard to shift into second gear and then the next time it is fine.

Everthing looked really good in the bottom end when I had her all apart. My clutch is not perfect but far from needing any kind of replacement. I did file the basket to get rid of the groving.

I know some of the old CR's could be a little tough on getting onto second too. So just wondering if this is kind of a normal thing for an old R or maybe a little bit of something in the tranny that I missed when I went through it? I really do not think it would be anything to do with the clutch because it seems to work just fine everywhere else.

Honda 250r 001
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
mine has always shifted perfect from all gears. i would say you have a worn shift shaft causing binding of the shift fork or something.

86 Quad R
12-05-2009, 08:56 AM
try doing a closer inspection of the clutch assembly. a grooved inner hub will give you problems as well. juss a thought :cool:

rigger
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Both of those are good thoughts. Both are easy to get at too.

I went through and looked at everything pretty hard before I put her all back together. The shift shaft looked really good.

The clutch basket did have some normal groving so I just filed it out. The inner basket did have some very light groving as but I left it alone because it was not that bad and I did not have anything at the time to get it good.

I was thinking maybe clutch too but I would just think that would effect shifting everywhere. Or am I wrong on that one?

Now that I think about it, it may be clutch. When I go to find neutral from a dead stop, I have to give her a slight roll back and then it will slip right into neutral.

Anybody else got any other ideas? Or thoughts to confirm one of the above suggestions?

Thanks guys. As always, everyone here is full of good help and ideas. The R forums always seem to be more helpful than the others.