PDA

View Full Version : chain keeps coming lose

yfz__rider3
12-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a 2005 450r and not to long ago i put on a new chain along with new front and back sprockets. i rode a coulpe of times and everything was fine but now my chain becomes extremely lose. I can tighten it and then ride just for like 3 minutes and my chain is extremely lose again....i cant figure out why it wont stay tight please help. thanks.......here is a picture by the way

300ex_#387
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Your swingarm bearings could be going bad. Your axle bearings could be going bad. When you buy a brand new chain it will stretch a little at first.

fastredrider44
12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Either a cheap chain or bad bearings. But be careful not to over tighten your chain, as that too will put a lot of stress on the bearings and your motor at the shaft.

Brian Pearson
12-04-2009, 07:12 PM
make sure you have got the allen bolts on the ajuster really tight, could be swwing arm bearings or axle bearings or a combination of both. the new chain should strech a little but not come way loose like that

d3ktrix
12-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Is it a cheap non-oring chain?
Some cheap-o chains can just seem to stretch forever.

310ESR
12-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Mark the bearing carrier with a sharpie and the swingarm and see if it moves.

Ruf Racing
12-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 310ESR
Mark the bearing carrier with a sharpie and the swingarm and see if it moves.

^^ Good idea^^ I believe your carrier is not tight enough.

pitsrule
12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
He sounds right about the carrier pinch bolts being loose. But be careful!! Use a torque wrench and torque them. The stock bolts will stretch and break pretty easily if over torqued. Trust me i just replaced a broken one. Im pretty sure the factory torque on the stock bolts is 15lb-ft

d3ktrix
12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by pitsrule
He sounds right about the carrier pinch bolts being loose. But be careful!! Use a torque wrench and torque them. The stock bolts will stretch and break pretty easily if over torqued. Trust me i just replaced a broken one. Im pretty sure the factory torque on the stock bolts is 15lb-ft

Also the stock swinger is only aluminum so it can strip pretty easy.
So don't go all retard strength on it, leave the breaker bar in the tool box =)

yfz__rider3
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
i didnt know there was other bearings other than your carrier bearings. what exactly are the swingarm bearings because i put in a new carrier and bearings and i thought that was all there was.

d3ktrix
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by yfz__rider3
i didnt know there was other bearings other than your carrier bearings. what exactly are the swingarm bearings because i put in a new carrier and bearings and i thought that was all there was.

Back by the axle there is only the carrier bearings.
The other swing arm bearings they are talking about about are the pivot bearings. They are at the front of the swing arm and ride on the huge bolt that holds the swing arm to the frame.
They are roller bearings and hardly ever good bad unless the seals get messed up.

yfz__rider3
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
oh ok i see thanks so much

d3ktrix
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Yup