PDA

View Full Version : College Majors....

Titanium
12-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey i need help trying to figure out what i want to major in College. Currently my major is Automotive Technologies but its far from what i want, being that its not the sort of pay i want.I also am afraid that after turning wrenches for a few years im not going to want to turn wrenches for fun anymore. I also am going to school for something that pays less that the current job i have, my current job is a sub contractor for laying data cable. I really would like to go to school for something that involves with computers being that they are our future and there's always going to be plenty of work with computers forever. What majors are out there for the area im looking for?

skatrdude20
12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I am majoring in Construction Technology at Akron U in Ohio. It is a broad major which can lead into construction management, surveying, supervision, estimating. I feel construction will be around forever, and computers are used more and more each year in the field as far as GPS and Machine Control go. I will probably be going into surveying as I have been on a crew since my sophomore year in high school. Just an idea for you, Good luck!

fast426
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I go to school at Northern Illinois University, and my major is called Operations Management and Information Systems. It is basically using technology to improve business processes. I do alot of database design and stuff on the computers, but also I will be Qualified as a manager, as well as an IT analyst.

I'm not sure if that is what kind of computer stuff you are looking for, but I really like it, and it seems there are still plenty of jobs out there for it.

250x_kyle
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
have you ever thought of cnc machining or some sort of mechanical enginnering type deal. design parts. would be computer related and you never know what you would get thrown at you.

Gray33
12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I am goin to bg next year undecided

dns1764
12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
i'm taking electromechanical engineering. its a combo of both fields so its gonna be good for getting a job. plus its a bunch of computers with some hands on. i know only a few schools offer it. wentworth in boston is one

Ralph
12-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Whatever you do. Get as many internships as you can! That is one thing I really regret not doing.

250r rider 88
12-05-2009, 07:25 PM
my major is industrial drafting/CAD this is a 2 year A.S. degree with an average starting salary in the mid 40s....i am going to be staying after the 2 years to complete my B.S. in that field as well as a B.S. in technology to help me be more marketable for better higher paying jobs and have a better chance over other applicants at interviews

you can never have enough schooling