PDA

View Full Version : bogging from take off

zachsdad
12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
if some one could help it would be great,my kids drr starts to bog from 0 to 1/2 throttle but after that it starts to clear up and run fine...he has a built 50 with a polinia jug and head,technigas pipe,and a 21mm carb on it i moved the clip on the needle down one slot and im running a 118 jet...is my pilot jet to big or what.....any help would be great!!!!!!!!

raidernut
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Could be numerous different things, or a combination of more than one thing. The things you can try are:

1. lighter rollers
2. stiffer torque spring, or replace yours if its lost its tension
3. spacing out front variator with a small shim
4. add more stall to the clutch engagement
5. Jetting

most likely you have a CVT issue and not a carb related one.

don bassani
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I would start with jetting only beacause you say it "CLEARS UP AFTER 1/2 THROTTLE"try going leaner and look at plug.Raise your needle clip position,that will lean your midrange,also try backing air screw out 1 turn.Drop 5 points on main and see how it performs.GOOD LUCK!!

jerkyboy
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
You have a 118 main jet what pilot do you have in there.
I have tried that pipe and had to run light rollers. I had alot of stall in the clutch. What clutch setup are you running? It will help us understand what its doing.

Whats up Don.

zachsdad
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
stock clutch,i have a koso 1000 rpm spring,2000 little springs,and 3.75 rollers,i made a mistake on the main jet its a 115,i took the 118 out and it got a lil better but not alot..changed plug to a lil hotter plug cause we r n cold weather now that kinda helped,turned air screw all the way in and started backin it out a 1/4 turn at a time made a lil difference but not much.....could my oil mixture have anything to do with it im runnin 36:1,a buddy of mine told me to try 40:1 to c if it helps......

raidernut
12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
going from 36 to 1 to 40 to 1 will make it run richer so if you think your problem is too rich this will only compound the problem. Try going to a 3.5 roller and try it.

jerkyboy
12-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I would try a red mallossi spring or a koso 1500 with 3.0 or 3.2 rollers.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Any one else agree that a 50 just cant overcome the 2000 rpm shoe springs????? It's like taking off in 3nd gear. Try 1500 shoe springs and the difference should be night and day.

kfx450
12-04-2009, 08:24 AM
on our 09 drr the shoes are so light I had to go with 1000 shoe springs to keep them from moving. they still move about 1/8in before the front starts to engage.

bulldogfallon
12-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by sickairseth
Any one else agree that a 50 just cant overcome the 2000 rpm shoe springs????? It's like taking off in 3nd gear. Try 1500 shoe springs and the difference should be night and day.

This is an aftermarket 50 with a pipe, so should require a higher rpm clutch engagement, so the lower shoe springs won’t necessarily help in this situation.

This bog could be carb or the cvt…..Clearing up would mean? Is the carb loading up or is it just like it stuck and then all of a sudden it takes off 5 to 10 ft out?

I believe you have to stall that clutch set up fairly high from what I have heard (6,500 to 7,000)…with a firm torque spring and lighter rollers....Maybe even a longer belt (helps with stall)

Jerky Boy is spot on with his 50 mod....He is probably the best source for help on your issue.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Gary,

I agree with you on the light rollers and heavier torque spring. I had a similar problem with my 09 Apex 50, you know that's ported with a pretty decent pipe on it, and had the 2000 rpm shoe springs, 3g rollers and a red Malossi torque spring on it and the shoes werent engaging until the belt was 3/4" into rear clucth. I changed to the 1500 rpm springs and now the shoes engage sooner before the belt moves and that was my problem, just saying it sound like the same problem I had. Heck I was happy to spend $10 and fix my problem.

jerkyboy
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
zacksdad try getting the stall higher like gary said. That pipe is a
top end pipe likes to rev. Also run the quad for about 10 min or so, you need to get it hot somtimes they will run different when they get hot. They cold weather is a bit tricky to tune in.
Good luck.

zachsdad
12-04-2009, 05:40 PM
the bog seems to get worse when the bike is hot....i have a 1500 spring and 1500 shoe springs....so what u r saying is try those springs in it and it should help,should i move the clip on the needle back to the middle slot with those springs.it sounds like the carb is loadin up bcause its kinda sluggish from the start then all of a sudden it takes off and runs good as long as he stays wide open but i have also noticed when he slows down to make a turn then jumps back on the gas it does it a lil then clears up again...the carb is a 21mm oko !!!!!!!!

FISH ON!
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
We had that exact problem with our 90 last year and it was the CVT not carb. Sounds like you are starting off in a high gear. Go with the recommended clutching changes first.

Todd

jerkyboy
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Its a high rev pipe. If you have a tack check to see where the clutch starts to engage. It needs to be around
7000-7500. You said it ran worse when it got hot. How did it run cold? What rollers did you try?

zachsdad
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
it didnt bog as bad when it was cold.it seems to get worse the longer the motor runs,i havent tried any other rollers yet we have had crappy weather, if its nice tommorow im gonna try changing rollers i geuss......do u think i should put my 1500 torqe spring in and leave the shoe springs what they r now and try a 3.0 roller what about moving the clip back to the center

jerkyboy
12-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes when you get a chance to run it use the 1500 torque spring and the 1500 clutch springs with the 3.0 rollers. You can also try
moving the clip on the needle up 2 slots. If it still bogs than try the 2000 clutch springs. What brand 1500 torque spring are you using? You never said what pilot jet is in it. What gearing are you running?

And one last thing only make one change at a time.

zachsdad
12-05-2009, 09:47 AM
i think its a koso,its yellow if that helps...havent had time to check the pilot jet yet,my gearing is a 19 tooth in the front and 30 in the rear...i didnt noticed the bog until i moved the clip on the needle....if that helps any,dont know if i will get to check it to day the weather is still crappy....jerkyboy where r u located at ...i am in north carolina if that helps with anything!!!!!thanks again for the help

zachsdad
12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
well i finally got a chance to mess with it,the pilot jet is a 38,but i still have a bog after trying everything that has been posted...i tried change oil mixture,change springs,rollers,moved the clip up to slots,when i done that the plug showed signs of being lean....im stuck now dont know what to do any more help would b great!!!!!!!thanks oh the rollers were 3.0 forgot to mention that

raidernut
12-06-2009, 12:51 PM
might be a lean bog condition, try going up on the pilot substantially and see if it improves, maybe a 45.

zachsdad
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
so i should try and go up on the pilot jet,if that doesnt work what should i try next!!!!!thanks again

raidernut
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
one step at a time

jerkyboy
12-10-2009, 04:38 PM
zachsdad I sent you a pm a few days ago.

hotquads1
12-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by zachsdad
i think its a koso,its yellow if that helps...havent had time to check the pilot jet yet,my gearing is a 19 tooth in the front and 30 in the rear...i didnt noticed the bog until i moved the clip on the needle....if that helps any,dont know if i will get to check it to day the weather is still crappy....jerkyboy where r u located at ...i am in north carolina if that helps with anything!!!!!thanks again for the help .
yellow 1500 ? could be a Malossi, but we are guessing , either way you may want to replace the torque spring with a new known brand , it will make it easier for people to make recommendations ,there is a huge difference in 1500 t-springs depending on brand, sounds like you could use a stiffer spring .
Marc