PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Spark Plug

FL-R
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I have an old roundy round car driver at work who use to mess with old turd race cars. well his dad told him of cutting the plug and making more power. Hes done it and says their is alittle diff-. Was wondering if anyone does this.
I dont rem- what the part is called that you cut, but the part that curves over the top, or bottom (which ever way you hold it) where it sparks. You cut it to where instead of going all the way past the little electrode in the plug, you cut it to where the end is directly in the center of the electrode thing. Damn I feel dumb right now.
Any one know, or hell, can tell me what those peices are called:D

speedfreek
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes it works. Just cut the piece that you described and sharpen it to a point. You want the point to be right in the middle of the round thing.

lol. I dont know what they are called either.

This is concentrating the spark into one area and this makes the spark fatter and better.

bloodswet&gears
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by FL-R
I have an old roundy round car driver at work who use to mess with old turd race cars. well his dad told him of cutting the plug and making more power. Hes done it and says their is alittle diff-. Was wondering if anyone does this.
I dont rem- what the part is called that you cut, but the part that curves over the top, or bottom (which ever way you hold it) where it sparks. You cut it to where instead of going all the way past the little electrode in the plug, you cut it to where the end is directly in the center of the electrode thing. Damn I feel dumb right now.
Any one know, or hell, can tell me what those peices are called:D electrode. the one in the middle is the center electrode and the one that curves over it is the ground electrode. the reason why it curves over is to keep the air/fuel charge from blowing the spark/flame out. they make plugs like that that you can buy like e3. but i never seen any dyno results showing any proof that they add hp. seems to me if you cut off the part that shields the spark it would hurt it.

atvmxr
12-04-2009, 08:45 AM
yep, I file down the electrode on mine, its basically like a splitfire plug but 1/5 the price. I also run champion plugs, which alot of people bash on. but I've only been racing 250rs for 15 years, so what the hell do i know? :blah: