PDA

View Full Version : Improvements of a Hinson Clutch?

Foxhound013
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been thinking about replacing my clutch how much is it gonna cost for the full kit, and will it come with the clutch cover(the black one that says hinson racing). What improvement will it make, is it worth my time and money. I woods ride and hopefully will be riding xc in a few years if that makes a difference, engine is stock.

12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
im also wanting to know this info, also thinking of this.

rob_990
12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
you normally replace clutches when they start slipping by modifying the motor or when they just wear out so if your clutch isnt worn out its pretty pointless

NacsMXer
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I have the full kit in mine (clutch basket, pressure plate, inner hub). It's not cheap by any means, you're talking 500+ for those 3 items and that doesn't include clutch plates. And no, the clutch cover is a whole separate animal. Don't think they make them anymore but that's another high dollar item, last I heard they were like 350-400 bucks. As you can tell, this stuff is $$$ but it is the best of the best IMO.

The main improvement the Hinson components will make is in smoothness of operation, and durability. The Hinson parts will let the clutch plates slide a lot smoother over stock while being a lot more resistant to wear. Stock clutch components are made from soft cast aluminum, so they tend to groove up over time and make the clutch hard to pull.

Aside from those improvements, the biggest factor in having a good clutch is the type of plates/springs you use. If you use cheaper plates, they will slip prematurely and won't last as long as you would like. Use some heavy duty clutch springs and OEM Honda clutch plates and you will be golden. The Honda plates will cost the most, but they will also last the longest. Don't waste your money on cheap stuff here.