PDA

View Full Version : First motor rebuild??

standardryder
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm rebuilding my 05 yfz for the first time this winter and its the first 4-stroke I'm going to do. I tried searching but no luck so can someone give me a list of things I should do? I'll prolly send my case to sparks and have them do the oil mod and I read something about throwing an 06 connecting rod in? What does that involve, just buy it put it in and thats that? I figured I might as well do everything since I got it apart. I'm also thinking of just gutting all the electrical getting an oversize radiator and throwing a kickstarter in so the cam mod will be done also. Anything else I should look out for?
Thanks

Brian

JR3
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
sounds like u got the right idea on what to do kick starter and oversized radiator are great ideas case mod is a must and the 06 crank is a upgrade just replaced anything that looks worn and needs replacing like i said sounds like u got ur sh it in order

Toadz400
12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't forget to pick up a manual and read through it a few times. Make sure you have all the tools needed, the work space needed, and the parts you're replacing.

Is there a reason you want to get rid of the electric start? One thing to think about is if you're racing and having to deal with kicking over an engine in the event of a stall. I'd rather have 5 extra pounds on my quad and just have to push a button instead of kicking it over.

JR3
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Don't forget to pick up a manual and read through it a few times. Make sure you have all the tools needed, the work space needed, and the parts you're replacing.

Is there a reason you want to get rid of the electric start? One thing to think about is if you're racing and having to deal with kicking over an engine in the event of a stall. I'd rather have 5 extra pounds on my quad and just have to push a button instead of kicking it over.

its not only 5 pounds yfz are notorious for having electrical problems i know mine did blow fuses and all of that kinda crap get a gtted harness and a kicker no more electrical to worry about

Toadz400
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JR3
its not only 5 pounds yfz are notorious for having electrical problems i know mine did blow fuses and all of that kinda crap get a gtted harness and a kicker no more electrical to worry about

'04's and very little '05's had electrical issues. It's usually a simple fix for the electrical issue. Blowing fuses sounds like something else is going on though, you need to find out why they're blowing.

JR3
12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
that was a year and a half ago went kicker with a gutted harness and a pwr oversized radiator and never looked back.

standardryder
12-04-2009, 03:37 AM
I have a manual but am I going to need any special tools? I forgot to ask that in the first post. My dad owns a car repair shop so I have access to pretty much every tool imaginable... for a car. Am I gonna need to order that 23/32 left handed 90* whirly gig that only yamaha carries?
I have a short somewhere so I keep blowing fuses right at the stator. also I cant start it unless I pull the clutch in, let it out then hit the starter:confused: also my oil light comes on when I let out the clutch and the faster I go the dimmer it gets till it shuts off. I dont race anymore so I figured the kickstart will just get rid of all the headaches all together.

mxpimp2000
12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
i just went to all kicker and sent my harness off and had it gutted for basic needs for it to start besides a key and tether switch. i never had any electrical issues with mine but i wanted to free up weight make the bike cleaner eliminate the battery and battery box. no fan etc. without all that crap in the way thats less things to carry mud and w.e else. since i went to all kicker my bike has a ton of room under the seat also went with a fci intake got rid of the air box.

motor wise if i were you id get:

sparks national piston kit for 06-08 since you will get the 06 crank your bike wont be 04-05 anymore
sparks oil mod
06 oem crank/rod etc
replace timing chain with oem part
kick start kit with 98 yz250 lever so you dont have to cut plastic
gutted harness
check head and valves for wear and tightness

quadracer707
12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000

Call Lost Creek Cycles ask for Kevin I think he about reinvented the wiring harness, even one of the big magazines did an article on his wire harness & it is pretty in expensive,

Ken

i just went to all kicker and sent my harness off and had it gutted for basic needs for it to start besides a key and tether switch. i never had any electrical issues with mine but i wanted to free up weight make the bike cleaner eliminate the battery and battery box. no fan etc. without all that crap in the way thats less things to carry mud and w.e else. since i went to all kicker my bike has a ton of room under the seat also went with a fci intake got rid of the air box.

motor wise if i were you id get:

sparks national piston kit for 06-08 since you will get the 06 crank your bike wont be 04-05 anymore
sparks oil mod
06 oem crank/rod etc
replace timing chain with oem part
kick start kit with 98 yz250 lever so you dont have to cut plastic
gutted harness
check head and valves for wear and tightness

mxpimp2000
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
heres my harness and it only cost me $50 to have it done. let me know if ur interested ill hook u up with the guy that done mine and he can get u set up. he does them alot for alotta ppl

quadracer707
12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
heres my harness and it only cost me $50 to have it done. let me know if ur interested ill hook u up with the guy that done mine and he can get u set up. he does them alot for alotta ppl

Dats Nice,
just the way it should be

standardryder
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks, I may end up doing that! Now when you gut the harness you can still use lights right? since they run from the motor and not the electrical system. Is there a difference between the 04-05 and 06-08 pistons? most places where I look have them as 04-09. And will an afterarket 06 crank/rod work, like hotrod or anythign else or does it have to be straight from yammi?