PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint and Spindle dilema???

SUPER_DAVE
01-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Ok im am taking my a arms off cause im about to get some 400ex a arms, so i have to free the spindle from the a arm but i cant get them off!!!! I took the ball joint nuts off that hold them on to the spindle and i expected them to come off with a tap or 2 with the hamer. WRONG! i cant get them off for nothing.

If yall have any suggestions PLZ POST!

Mxbubs
01-18-2003, 01:33 PM
If you can get one ball joint out, come in from that hole with a couple of 3/8" ratchet extensions and knock the other out. If you cant get either one of them out, take the a-arms off, put the arm on the tailgate of a truck, get someone to stand on it, and actually hit the spindle with a rubber hammer while holding it straight up an down to the ball joint....

Mxbubs
01-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Ball joints are tapered I believe, this is why they stick on hard.

SUPER_DAVE
01-18-2003, 03:55 PM
well i hit on them some more and now i took the a arms completely off. I havent hit them yet but im about too.

had to take a snack break :D

nakomis0
01-18-2003, 04:37 PM
i put 2 nuts on one balljoint. Then i put a socket, and a few washers, to make a spacer .....and i put that on top of the nuts.. so its real close to the opposite ball joint...then i unscrew the top nut with a wrench... that pushes the spacer against the opposite ball joint and that will pop it out.

Theres a post on this in the FAQ. Theres another way where you just hit the side of the spindle with a hammer and it breaks the taper lock. But it dont work all the time.

BigThumper33
01-19-2003, 06:22 PM
On my ex I simply undid the castle nuts, turned them upside down and screwed them on level with the ball joint stud. Then I got a metal rod-punch-whatever, and a hammer and beat it off. The castle nut will keep the ball joint stud from being harmed and it popped right out for me.