PDA

View Full Version : hows it going guys, quick question

mineralgrey01gt
12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I know im going to get a biased opinion on this most probably but im going to see the outcome

Ok guys, i have been out of the game about 1 1/2 yrs and now its time to get back in. I have some money saved and have a ton of parts left over from my 250r when it was running. I found an 02 400ex that needs a head gasket and possibly a new shifter fork put in for $550. Or i can start to rebuild my 250r again which was an absolute blast to ride. Which would you do?

This is what i have left off my other 250r: complete front end off my 250r, minus brakes, a 450r swing arm and rear shock for it, wiring harness, rear brake pedal, radiator, and a few other misc parts.

400ex: is absolutely complete with those 2 problems, oh and a dead battery (no big deal)

BuDDy L
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
this is what i would do, i would buy the 400ex fix it and keep it, great bike also to have, if you have intentions to sell it your only going to get like 12 13 14 for it, i mean its a choice there but i would keep it. Thats like me, i have extra money for the R but i bought an 04 yamaha ttr225 for 700 dollars just because it was a deal, i didnt need it but i can turn around an resell for over 1200 with no extra money added easily. This is more of a personal decision planning on what you want to do, ps im 18 years old call me unexperienced if you will :)

250Renvy
12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Unless you plan on parting out the 400ex, or keeping it and riding it, I don't think I would bother. People these days have lost a lot of integrity and most likely you will have way more into the motor than you expect - especially if you don't rebuild it yourself. Although it also depends on the condition of the machine. Most are beat unless they were hardly ridden. Sometimes a $550 machine isn't even worth that, especially if it's going to cost $2000 to get it back to running. A brand new 07 400ex is going for $3500 at some dealers.

I would look for a complete 250R that is running or recently rebuilt. It takes too long to find all the parts to build one from scratch - especially if you are on a budget.

Ruf Racing
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
If you have some dough, build another 250R. Or do what Envy says, buy a recently built one. Do you remember the feeling you got when riding your 250R? Sweet wasn't it? You will not feel that way on a 400ex, no matter what you do to it.:macho

86 Quad R
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
the only way i'd buy the 400ex is if i were going to build a hybrid using a 250R power plant. otherwise, build another R. you know you wont regret it. :D

mineralgrey01gt
12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
i actually thought about making a hybrid 250r out of it. My bro and i found a bottom end we had off my first motor in a crate we forgot about so all i need is a jug and such for the top end and its ready to go. Already have an exhaust, radiator, etc so its not a big deal at all. I might pick up the 400ex and use most of the parts off of it to make a rolling chassis on a 250r frame. I have about $1500 to play with right now so im looking at all my options

btw randy, ever got that frame i sold you up and going again?

also i thought about building the 400ex up. I mean like the suspension and such, then when i get tired of it transfer it all over to a 250r frame since it will work and go with a 250r later down the road. Im not doing any engine work to the 400ex, just not worth it. Exhaust and a 450r carb is about the extent of the mods to the motor

86 Quad R
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
yea your kinda sorta in a tough position.... and limited to what the money will allow. i spose the most cost effective route would be to fix the 400ex and ride but since you have the 250r lower unit you could opt to go that way with it. the process isnt all that bad at all. i've done a couple and am considering another(for meself. they are sure fun to ride.

i've just about got ever lil' ole part gathered for the assembly and am getting ready to mock the engine up for the rear and bottom mounts. this will be a 100% duner ready for spring '10. :D

danhung11
12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd say both. To be able to ride for under a $1k after a year and a half break. There's nothing wrong with a 400EX, if stock it's a bullet proof machine and serves as a nice spare for your better half or a buddy. I know I miss my 400EX in those trails, but an R in the sand is unreal.

Got any pics of the 400EX?

250rPRIDE
12-03-2009, 01:46 PM
i would fix up the 250r the 400ex will cost you more than its worth i know of 3 pretty nice 400's bought in the past 3 months for under 1000 and they needed nothing. you will have at least 300-400 in parts if not way more. go back to a 250r thats not bias either i just bought a 06 450r because i couldnt pass up a good deal and i dont even compair it to my 250r but some say i will get use to it.. so its your choice i have nothing against 400's they are sweet trail bikes and you can wheelie one for miles
:D
best of luck

jcs003
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
do the hybrid. im just about done with mine now. i have a thread in the hybrid sectiopn that i need to update. at least you can see the initial process.

BuDDy L
12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
I'd say both. To be able to ride for under a $1k after a year and a half break. There's nothing wrong with a 400EX, if stock it's a bullet proof machine and serves as a nice spare for your better half or a buddy. I know I miss my 400EX in those trails, but an R in the sand is unreal.

a men brotha a men

mineralgrey01gt
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
ok guys came to a conclusion. Im gonna get the 400ex. The 400ex will be fixed for little or nothing. I actually think its the clutch needs adjusting since he said it runs and shifts, just not how it should. Ill do full suspension and such how i want then when i start messing with the 250r again, ill take all that suspension off put it on the R frame that way i can have a rather stout bike, turn the 400ex back to stock and keep it for a spare or make it a pure trail bike.

mineralgrey01gt
12-05-2009, 11:09 PM
well guys i picked the 400ex up today. Its actually in pretty decent shape. Bought a new battery for it and she fired up after a quick carb cleaning and a plug change (which i have to say is the worse thing to do on these). Ill be putting suspension and such on this one since it can be used on the next 250r I WILL build.

250rPRIDE
12-06-2009, 10:42 AM
good deal... just remember 400ex and 450r shocks are a little bit longer than 250r shocks. they do work but not always the way they should.. goodluck

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
i found that out a while back but thanks for the reminder. Im actually going to put +3+1's on the front so it should work out good. Also will be more than likely getting elka shocks on the front. Not the top dollar ones just the ones for $499 or so. It doesnt have to be perfect just something fun to ride that handles good. The 250r will be perfect though:cool:

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by danhung11

ill put some pics up tomorrow. Too dark right now to get them. i need to clean it up. Its still backfiring pretty bad. I think its out of timing. Im gonna put a stage 2 hot cam in it so ill be sure and put it all back together right then move to the jets in the carb

danhung11
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
ill put some pics up tomorrow. Too dark right now to get them. i need to clean it up. Its still backfiring pretty bad. I think its out of timing. Im gonna put a stage 2 hot cam in it so ill be sure and put it all back together right then move to the jets in the carb

You might want to check what timing key / CDI is in there. I had some issues with my Sparks setup, went back to stock and it was fine.

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
thanks danhung11. Ill be sure and check that out