PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450r suspension question...

yamaha_maniack
12-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,
On the new 09 YFZr 's, if i want to buy aftermarket suspension (say fox's or elka's) do i need to buy aftermarket long travel arms?

Also, if so, what arms would you suggest?

Thanks!

Colby@C&DRacing
12-03-2009, 09:07 AM
That depends on what you are going to do with your yfz are you a hard core racer or you just an aggressive play rider? If you are not going to race, a properly setup after market std travel set of shocks will perform well and meet just about everyones needs.

yamaha_maniack
12-04-2009, 07:14 AM
well i am a beginning racer but i plan on getting more aggresive as i race and ride more.. so i will be wanting probably something with more travel than stock...

So that means that i am going to need long travel arms then huh?

Thanks

daddio
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
The front shocks on the YFZR are already "Long Travel". If your in the 170 - 220 lb range, you will be surprised how well the stock ones work.

We put Evols on just to lighten up the front end. The stock ones were working just fine. You won't need anything any better, until you are good enough to run mid to front of the "A" class.

When you are ready, and really want to spend some dough, put it in the motor. I know this is usually backward thinking, but the YFZR is the first quad that you can truley ride it hard with the stock suspension. The LTR was close, bit not as good as the R.

yamaha_maniack
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Alright great to know! Thanks man... I appreciate the help

gimp419
12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
I'll second that on the YFZR suspension. If you know how to tune the stock setup you can get it working pretty dang good. And this is coming from someone that races in some fast national classes. The shocks on the YFZR work better out of the box than the KTM if that tells you anything.

yamaha_maniack
12-11-2009, 11:25 PM
haha yeah it does...

i just need to get out onto more of a "track" like place so that i can really have something to test my quad on and tune it on.. i have it tuned a little bit differently just for more smoothness on trail type riding, but the rear is a little stiff.. i am going to be working on the rear soon.. first i am just trying to get the front shocks the best i can.

Thanks guys