PDA

View Full Version : thinking about purcahseing a 400ex need some info

ridein'red7
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
ok well i am new to this forum and not new to quads and bikes but new to a 400ex, well the guy on craigslist says its a 2001 440 bigbore and has new axle bearing and its is a 2001 and i was wondering what i should look at to determine if it is worth tradeing for

tri5ron
12-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is a 11:1 or 12:1 compression ratio piston, AND he did not have the HD studs installed at the same time of the Big Bore.

depending on what your wanting to trade for it, and how much yor willing to put into it...

But I'd probably steer clear of that one, and keep my eye's peeled for a quad that hasn't been bored to it's max. size.

JMHO

jasonwayne222
12-03-2009, 12:05 AM
agreed you just cant trust people u dont know when they have bored an engine to its max. theres probly a reason he wants to get rid of it, if u get a 400ex with engine work stay with a 416 or 426.

bkelley
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is a 11:1 or 12:1 compression ratio piston, AND he did not have the HD studs installed at the same time of the Big Bore.

depending on what your wanting to trade for it, and how much yor willing to put into it...

But I'd probably steer clear of that one, and keep my eye's peeled for a quad that hasn't been bored to it's max. size.

JMHO
I was going to say the same thing about the studs. But, just because it's been bored out doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done right. If you really want the bike, just drill him with questions. Ask him who did the machining, installing and all that stuff. Ask if he is still using the standard studs or not and what the compression is. Ask how long it's been running as a 440 and if it's had problems in the past. Go check it out in person and ride it, look for anything that doesn't seem right. If you don't have past experience with bored out engines or high performance bikes and don't know what it takes to keep them running strong, I probably wouldn't do it. Also, ask if he has any original parts or anything that belongs to the bike that you can have thrown in. Never know if you can use something or even sell it for some cash.

katch26
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
just because it's been bored out doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done right.

this. Normally in a great market a modded bike going for "dirt cheap" (you never listed a price so I guessing here) is going cheap for a reason but they way things are now people are selling low to free up money quickly not necessarily cause its a POS. A couple of questions should be able to help you make an informed decision. Depending on price it may still be worth looking at in person. If its clean , not just cleaned, it would leave me to believe that it was taken care of well....if the pictures are always of it filthy I would tend to believe its been beat on.

ridein'red7
12-03-2009, 03:39 PM
well he is asking 900 for it because of jetting n i was gonna see if he would trade me but my blaster that i have so much into i could of bought to very nice 400exs lol but i got to much in the blaster but 4 900 bucks so u think i should leave it and yaya ya i kno its just a blaster dont pick on me soon ill have a 400ex!!

bkelley
12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
$900? Yeah, that's pretty scary. That's Like how much you could get for a nice 440 engine alone. See if you can't get any pictures.

ridein'red7
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
i emailed him yesterday nite soo ill see if he can and if it is still there

MidnightBlade
12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
i would avoid that one because he probaly didnt put in HD studs or a new and bigger carb so it wont have the full potential of the 440ex but also the 440 cant be bored any bigger so if you blow it up youre f*#%ed ya i have an 05 bone stock and its amazing but i dont want a 440 a 426 kicks ***** if they have a new carb, the 440 also has alot of problems with blowing head gaskets with too much compression and he probably didnt get a new one

ridein'red7
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
i want one so bad i love my friends 406? hes got everything extended and yoshi system and nerfs with wide pegs and it just tfits me perfect and im 510.5 at a 167lbs and it handles great i love the power he has a hotcams stage 2 in it and i love it perfect on trails and fun at the sand pits but i have the itch to get one but i have to sell this blaster