View Full Version : Hey Pap...

Glamis400ex
12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I got a couple color related questions. I'm going to be re-doing my frame and it's currently gold. I'm maybe looking to add a little pizzaz to it.
Looking to re-do in either gold or copper.

Are the gold/copper colors a simple 2 stage? color w/ clear?
Is there such thing as gold vein or copper vein?
Maybe translucent gold/copper(vein) over chrome/black chrome?
I just want something in that family that's really gonna pop and look sharp, like no-one elses.
any color swatches you can post?

Thanks Pap.

Pappy
12-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Most golds and coppers are solids and a clear is added for more gloss and to protect the color coat. Goldvien and copperviens can vary by manufacture, and dont look that bad (or that great) but a good clear adds alot of shine.

I really havent had the call to do many of those colors so I dont think I have many pictures that arent posted already.

The problem with the trans colors that are very light are...well...they just dont look that good in person. In a picture they may look ok in certain light at certain angles but IMO, they lack depth and appeal. On small parts here or there maybe, but I would advise against it unless you can see some actual work done in person before doing a frame etc.

I have used a Copper Sparkle that was a Dormant powder and it looked pretty good, but it has more of a redish tint that goes towards a copper sheen as the light changes.

If you have a local coater, swing in and get a look at some color chips and pay the extra to have any of those colors cleared, makes a huge difference!!

Glamis400ex
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Very helpful...thanks