PDA

View Full Version : oil change promblem

storms400ex
12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
changed oil and filter last night started it up,warmed it up then drained, put 2 qts in and its right to the top of the oil tank, so i drained it again and in the book i got says it takes 2.3 qts with filter, so i added 2 qts and its right to the top again even started it still same!!!!! have any idea's?????

12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok, drain it while its cold. Then add one quart and ride it or let it idle for like 15-30 minutes. Then Simply add the 2nd quart. Thats what ive doen on all of my 400's.

storms400ex
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
ill try that, but ill start it up first and let it idle and see if it goes down from the top of tank, ive got 2 qys in it so it shouldnt hurt, just wanted to get some more info from you guys

clemsonteg
12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
The info I have reads as follows:

Just an oil change - 1.9 quarts
Oil change w/filter - 1.95 quarts
After dissasembley - 2.3 quarts

so if you did oil and filter it should be just shy of 2 quarts

Miami_Vice454
12-02-2009, 07:05 PM
my Manuel says 1.7 Q.

jasonwayne222
12-02-2009, 11:55 PM
well probly where your going wrong is that when u think u have it all drained you dont, you have to turn the motor over several times{with the ignition off ofcourse} so that the oil pump moves the oil through out the whole system and into the case so you can actually fully drain all the oil, it takes a while to get it all out, if u dont take your time and do that then the oil stays trapped throughout the system like in the cooler and the lines and other oil cavaties and you wont get it all out, when you added your 2 quarts you probly still had a half quart or more left and thats probly whats happening

jasonwayne222
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
the book tells you to let the engine warm up by idling and not snap the throttle as that will give an innacurate reading, turn engine off, remove dipstick and whipe it clean, then reinstall dipstick WITHOUT screwing it in to check the oil level. I know this sounds strange but i just read it word for word to check it like this. Now to drain the oil, after it has warmed up and you didnt snap the throttle because its hard not too! then remove the crankcase drain bolt AND the oil tank drain bolt. filler back up, let engine warm up and check again and again. I usually only pull the crankcase drain bolt and motor the engine over until i get it all out but this is what the book says to do. and it calls for 1.9 quarts.

hope this helps

slightlybent47
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I’ve always just drained it out till it stops draining and then put in two quarts and go with that and I have never had a problem. I’d rather be a tick over then under on the oil. Been doing it this way sense I bought it two years ago. And I change it every 4 hours of ride time. And I change the oil filter every other oil change. This has worked for me.

12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
i only change mine once ever month or 2

honda400ex2003
12-03-2009, 08:39 PM
holy man there is some major stuff flyin around this beast. put one qt in start it for a minute. shut it off, fill the rest. make sure you do the lower case under the shifter too. it should take 2 qrts and be fine with the filter.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html

this is a pretty easy task for some the things said above. why would you want to ride it or let it idle for 20-30 min with 1 qt of oil in it?? :eek2: steve

jasonwayne222
12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
who said to let it idle with only one quart? when you drain the crankcase you only get about a quart out,so when nickyroman said to drain the case and add a quart and let it idle, you wouldnt actually only have one quart you would have closer to two, this isnt draining the whole system and it is only dilluting old oil with new oil, you have to drain the oil tank too to get all the oil in the first shot or turn over the engine several times to get all the oil pumped into the case to drain. but yes i agree with honda400ex,if you actually drained it all out i would never run it for that long with only a quart.

point being everyone has there own way of doing it, the guy just didnt understand how he was overfilling it in the first place and the answer is that he wasnt properly draining it. that is the only answer he was out to get so now that he has 10 different suggestions he can figure out what way he wants to do and not overfill it.