PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

gregorw_99
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I have recently acquired a 86 trx250r with a spun rod bearing. I had the cylinder bored and a new oversized piston. I just plan on playing around with this 4 wheeler, no serious racing.
My first question is should i replace the crank with an 86 short rod, or should i go with a 88 with the long rod. Or is this even an option. I have done some reading and have read you need a spacer plate to do this, and is this the only thing i will have to do to make the long rod work. I have found some hot rods cranks on ebay that i plan to use.

Also one other off the wall question i have is what does the antifade locknut do on the rear brake/ axle. I have seen a coulpe of them on ebay and i do not really understand their function.
I know these questions are odd but i am new to the racing side of atvs but i do have a 750 brute force and a 450 foremen both heavily modded.

Thanks for the advice.
Greg

cdrookie
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
just get the crank rebuilt with the 86 rod, not much difference going with the long rod, especially for just playing around.

ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM HOT ROD CRANKS!!!!!!!
do a search on here and you'll see why.

the anti fade's take some heat out of the rear brake rotor but more importantly are much more reliable at keeping the axle in place. the stocker can come loose and let the axle move side to side

jcs003
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
hot rods cranks seem to work for some and not for others. i have one in my 86 motor and its been good for quite a while.

86 Quad R
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
in my opinion the hotrods should be fine provided they are true'd by a reputable builder.

i personally like the short rod power the best. :cool: