PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 2005 problem not specific looking for solution?

BuDDy L
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey i have a raptor 660 that i finally found someone to buy, i just had it fixed and the thing runs great heres the problem. as he was coming i went to try to start it and the neutral light WONT even come on. It wont kick over?. i had this problem weeks ago and it turned out to be a bad electric/choke/light switch on the left that i bought. Then it worked. But he is coming today to hear it run and i cant start it, i know its electric and is 99.99% a small problem but for someone who has never seen it, its huge, right now im charging the battery and hopefully that will work :( any other suggestions or am i dead on with the only possible problem

turn key no kick over no neutral light no headlights

recently purchased new switch on left off ebay and it worked fine 2 weeks ago when i rode it once.

BuDDy L
12-03-2009, 06:09 AM
update, replaced fuse and neutral light comes on, when i flip the on off to switch to on and go to turn the motor over the fuse pops and the light goes out again, even if i flip the light switch up, the light goes out and the fuse pops, i think the electric assembly piece i bought was bad too :/ from a while ago even though it worked perfect for a few weeks even though i rode it twice in 2 months, any other possibilities or have i narrowed it down to the switch

1promodfan
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Maybe you should try a different forum. I know there are plenty of Craptor forums out there.

BuDDy L
12-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Maybe you should try a different forum. I know there are plenty of Craptor forums out there.

i know but eveytime i post here you guys help me out numerous times, i post on raptorforum and even here in raptor section and it takes them days to get a response such as you parting it out? if nobody knows thats fine but any help can help

86 Quad R
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
sounds as tho you have a short in the system somewhere. you need to trace it down and find where its at.

BuDDy L
12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
sounds as tho you have a short in the system somewhere. you need to trace it down and find where its at.

update:

i just spoke with a mechanic and he told me its a direct short...meaning there is a wire touching metal thats causing it to do that everytime i use electric turning the switch on or even the lights, i noticed when i flip the switch, the light goes off but if i jiggle the wiring above the handlebars, the light slowly comes back on, very very weird, smart smart guy ^^^

1promodfan
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BuDDy L
i know but eveytime i post here you guys help me out numerous times, i post on raptorforum and even here in raptor section and it takes them days to get a response such as you parting it out? if nobody knows thats fine but any help can help

Thats no problem.....and I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything. Its just I seen there had been about 40 views and no one had responded. Hope you get it going.;)

rolfs_7
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
follow the wire from the switch to its destination. the wire from the battery to the switch is obviously ok. go here http://www.scribd.com/doc/2601979/Raptor-660

go to page 328 trace the wires out of the switch in the harness to check for shorts on the frame. if you dont find any read that diagram and one by one unplug what is on that circuit checking to see if it blows the fuse and or using your volt meter check if it grounds out.

twopump78
12-03-2009, 11:37 PM
sounds to me that it's the starter button. a buddy of mine had this same problem on his z400 changed the starter button out with a rm style kill switch and no prob. since.

BuDDy L
12-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by rolfs_7
follow the wire from the switch to its destination. the wire from the battery to the switch is obviously ok. go here http://www.scribd.com/doc/2601979/Raptor-660

go to page 328 trace the wires out of the switch in the harness to check for shorts on the frame. if you dont find any read that diagram and one by one unplug what is on that circuit checking to see if it blows the fuse and or using your volt meter check if it grounds out.

appreciate that man, thank you, just off topic real quick can you find me a ltr 450 manual in pdf like that