PDA

View Full Version : Top end myth

maska
12-02-2009, 06:53 AM
I just brought my 250r to have the topend done.The guy at the shop told me there was a score in the piston so he had to crack the case open to find the piece.
In my previous 2 stroke machines I've just changed the oil a few times before my 1st ride to get out any particles.This guy insists this problem is specific to these machines.TRUE or a nother mechanic sucker fishing.
Thanks Guys

BuDDy L
12-02-2009, 06:57 AM
prepare to bend over without lube :)

ah, americas labor rates are great, 88-105 an hour i bet it falls around there...

just off topic...think about it this way if it were really say 120 an hour, do you think he has a stopwatch exactly timing, hell no so when he works on it for 56 minutes and charges you 60, i feel bad bc i feel like im getting ripped off 8 dollars.

i wonder if anyone feels the same otherwise im just tired from waking up early to get my 660 craptor to work :)

1promodfan
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Well let me say this, you can take a chance that it'll just come out with the oil.......or if it doesn't, you're taking a chance of causing more damage.

dustinshuler
12-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Well let me say this, you can take a chance that it'll just come out with the oil.......or if it doesn't, you're taking a chance of causing more damage.
how could it come out by changing oil? the gear oil is seperate from the top end!

cdrookie
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
a score in the piston is a scratch. what is he hoping to find by splitting the cases?

Honda 250r 001
12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by dustinshuler
how could it come out by changing oil? the gear oil is seperate from the top end!

tell that mechanic to **** off and take that motor home and try to fix it your self. You have more experience than him most likely, or at least sense.

BuDDy L
12-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
tell that mechanic to **** off and take that motor home and try to fix it your self. You have more experience than him most likely, or at least sense.

exactly, the mechanic wants to make more money off of you in my opinion, specific to this machine ha, what you should ask him so only my R? stuff it in his face say im going to a real mechanic and walk out proud my $.02

86 Quad R
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
if its a matter of just a simple score then i call boo chit but if the piston did infact come apart then the guy is spot on in wanting to crack the cases.

1promodfan
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by dustinshuler

After reading the post I realized that it didn't sound like I meant it to. I know parts can't come out via changing the oil. I was just trying to say that if a piece of metal did fall in the bottom end, it can cause damage.;) Sorry if my post was mis-leading.

bloodswet&gears
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
it could be that he's wanting to cover his butt incase a piece of piston gets in one of the bearings. if he doesnt take it apart and inspect or replace the crank and rod bearings then your gonna want him to replace your lower end for free. if you dont want the guy to worry about it then tell him you dont mind taking a chance. if i was doing it for myself i would clean it with brake clean and use high pressure air to blow it out before putting a piston in it.

rustyATV
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Who wants to take bets that he accidentally dropped something in the crank case and doesn't want to lose money digging it out?

latheboy
12-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
it could be that he's wanting to cover his butt incase a piece of piston gets in one of the bearings. if he doesnt take it apart and inspect or replace the crank and rod bearings then your gonna want him to replace your lower end for free. if you dont want the guy to worry about it then tell him you dont mind taking a chance.

I agree. If he is going to offer you any warranty on the bottom end, he has to go in. Otherwise, if he doesnt split the cases and you roast a main or rod bearing, its not his fault. If it was my own machine, I might go in, depending on what the damage looks like. If I had a shop and it was a customers machine, I would also look at the damage and talk with the customer. BUT, if I dont slpit the cases, its a 10/10 warranty....10 feet out the door, or ten minutes after you leave.
I think its retarded how some on here seem to think this mechanic is a hack. C'mon, we dont have the motor in front of us. we dont know how ragged out this guys lower end may be.

tommygunnz
12-03-2009, 06:02 PM
can you post a pic of the piston? If part of thats in the bottom end those cases better be split to be cleaned minimum its not a huge deal splitting 250R cases pretty simple

speedfreek
12-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I think you need to listen to your mechanic. There is only one way to do it, THE RIGHT WAY. Not half assed.

If you want to take the chance of a piece of aluminum or whatever floating around in your crank case then that's on you.

cwr~413
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
if the mech or shop is offering any kind of warranty, they are covering themselves. if the rod sticks on the big end 30 seconds after you fire it with a new topend you asre going to want it fixed, for free .

if you want to, just get it running, you need to get you a manual. its not rocket science. i wouldn't really want to trust a shop that would "want" to put it together knowing it was about to shoot its wadd.

this all depends on the shape of your bottom end. does it feel like a 20 year old or a 60 year old lady?

CHAR250R
12-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Is the piston in question just scored? or are there pieces missing? I'd ask to see the piston. A score is a scratch. There should be nothing to look for if it's just scored. Post a pic of the scored piston so we can see for ourselves. :confused: