PDA

View Full Version : lt250r brakes wont work right

chargerbaseball
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
i am doing a restore on a '92 lt250r and all i have to do is get the brakes working right. I have now bled the brakes countless times and they are still spongy. the handle pulls all the way into the handle and i still cant stop like i want it to. I have switched out the master cylinder with a working one. I've switched brake calipers. I've gotten new pads. I dont see any visible leaks in the lines. I've tried vacuum bleeding. I've done the normal way. I heard of getting an old oil can and filling it with brake fluid a pumping it into the nipples backwards. Anyone tried it or something like it?

Im not sure what to do now. I really dont want to take it to a shop because im afraid that they're going to try everithing i have and im going to pay for nothing.

any help is appreciated

12-01-2009, 08:05 PM
you might have a bent spindle. does either of the rotors flex when you pump them up?

chargerbaseball
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
by rotors do you mean the calipers, or actual brake part (sorry, i dont know all of the technical terms), and what do you mean by spindles (once again, sorry about that). Ya they move a little, but i've looked at them and they look attached just fine, but i could be wrong.

fx4pitrone
12-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Rotor = flat steel round part that brake pads contact to stop quad (looks like a flat metal frisbee LOL)

Caliper= Where brake hose goes to; holds the pads and fluid inside activate brakes

Spindle= Connects your A-arms (control arms) to your wheel hubs; ball joints connect here as do tie-rods; brake calipers are also mounted on here

Get yourself a manual on e-bay for like $20.... it will be a tremendous help!

DWR270
12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
More than likely the carrier for one of the calipers is bent. If you squeeze the brake and the caliper moves any than the carrier is bent. The carrier is the part that bolts to your spindle that the caliper floats on.

chargerbaseball
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
even if it is bent, would it make that big of a deal?

DWR270
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes it will. If it is bent than the caliper cannot move freely causing one pad to bind and using less than 50% of the brake pistons surface area. Take apart the one that is flexing and you will see wear marks on the posts.

LTandRaptorider
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
My problems are much the same as yours. I even scored a new master cylinder off ebay. Hate to say it's for a yfz450... but they look much nicer! :D Anyway, that, new lines, new pistons and seal kit in the calipers... new rotors, pads. Only get some braking. What I'm wondering now, has anybody tried mounting a caliper like from the LT-R450? :confused:

matt1106
12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm having a similar problem..I actually just finished overhauling my bike, but i was having the prob b4.. when i go to bleed my brakes the brake fluid just kinda trickles out...not air, no squirting.. i think its the master cylinder. wat do u guys think? I pulled my bleeders, and cleaned them out too, and there is just no brake pressure. kinda bummed ive been dying to ride it and its a little to fast to ride with no brakes..

chevys&honda$
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I had the same problem on my 86, get a buddy and have him pump the s*it out of it, prob about 20 pumps, pull the peddle all the way up and push down hard and do it fast, keep doing it until when you open the bleeder brake fluid sprays a foot or more.

matt1106
12-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by chevys&honda$
I had the same problem on my 86, get a buddy and have him pump the s*it out of it, prob about 20 pumps, pull the peddle all the way up and push down hard and do it fast, keep doing it until when you open the bleeder brake fluid sprays a foot or more. Ive tried that...and nothing