PDA

View Full Version : timing

kylejansson
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I keep jumping timing in my predator. I bought it with a manual cam chain tensioner so I assume the last guy was having the same problem I ve since replaced it with the automatic stock one (new) and now I have jumped time twice I also jumped it with the manual one as well my cam chain is new along with my gears. Is this common with polaris and what do i do to make it quit?

katch26
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
how are you installing it? if its extended when you bolt the 2 bolts in you can damage it fairly easily. What gears?, tranny?

kylejansson
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
the tensioner was installed correctly. I had a problem with it jumping with the manual tensioner also. Have you never had this problem with yours? I need a solution. The gears I am talking about are the ones that run my cams. My predator has a 12.5:1 wiseco compression kit could that some how effect it?

katch26
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
no not really. I have had it with mine when the cam chain went. I replaced both at the same time and its been fine since. Lets just say that theres nothing wrong with the cam chain or tensioner the only other thing (in my mind) it could be would be the guides. If those are worn or installed incorrectly it could allow the chain to wobble and kick time.....afterall the tensioner is pressing against the guide

katch26
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
if the cams were installed incorrectly it could do it too. There are little c-clips underneath the cams to keep them from walking and if one were to end up missing the same thing would happen. As far as the manual tensioner goes some people just think they are more reliable but it could have also just been a bandaid to a bigger proble like what youre going through now.

How did yuo replace the gears? are they aftermarket? or used?

kylejansson
12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
i was actually thinking the guide might been worn I have had evrything else you said checked and rechecked. So how would i tell if the guide is worn?

katch26
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
just out of curiosity with the tensioner off the bike and the plunger extended if you push down on it on a hard surface does to compress at all?

katch26
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I cant find a service limit on them so I guess it would be visual check only. I wonder if they are installed correctly?......how about the cam c clip are you 100% sure its there?

kylejansson
12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
it doesnt slip all the time its only at a high rpm in a high gear usually

katch26
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
so what makes you think its timing? are you popping the top and the marks are visibly different? seems if your having slip issues at high RPM that would point me more in the direction of clutch or jetting

kylejansson
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
the last time it slipped it jumped 3 teeth on the exuast and 2 on the intake

katch26
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
but since then youve addressed those problems so are you sure it actually did it again

katch26
12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
The only other thing, I asked around for ya, would be that it was timed wrong and the cam spun again.

kylejansson
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
what do you mean by the cam spun

katch26
12-03-2009, 01:36 PM
theres only som many things that will effect your timing. The chain get loose and jumps....the tensioner fails causing the chain to bounce and jump teeth or it was timed wrong at which point the piston would hit the valves and the gear would rotate on the cam. The cams are only pressed on and not mechanically fastened with say screw etc, and are only held on by really tight tolerences.