PDA

View Full Version : Which sport 4 wheeler do I need?

Crummie
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey everybody I am new here to this forum and already in need of some help. I've decided that I would like to get myself a sport 4 wheeler to go along with my 2002 Rubicon. All I have ever owned is Honda, but I am willing to give other brands a chance. My riding cosists of very wide open fast trail riding and slow technical trails. Basically what I am looking for is a sport bike that will flat out RUN FAST in the wide open, but still be able to slow down and putt around the tight slow woods trails without haveing to be constintly on the clutch. Reliability is also very important to me I want a bike that will last forever and be pretty easy to maintain. What I am looking at is the Honda 450r, the Suzuki Z400, and the Yamaha Raptor 700r. I will be buying new also.

J.Brown121
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
if i were in your position i would go with the 700r. they are made for trails and very fun...plus they look sweet

kyledvor61
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
raptor fo sho. also you can buy a used 07 for half the price of a new one

12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Raptor 700 definitely!

It has the big-bore torque for lugging around the woods, and in the straight line those 700cc's pull pretty damn hard. (Right on par with the 450's, maybe even more with the right bolt ons)

Proven itself reliable and powerfuel. Fuel injected so you never have to worry about jetting.

BlaineKaiser450
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

It has the big-bore torque for lugging around the woods, and in the straight line those 700cc's pull pretty damn hard. (Right on par with the 450's, maybe even more with the right bolt ons)
Only if its a stock 450, if that. Raptor 700s are sloooooooooow! Id reccomend a 400ex, you cant do any better for a trail quad.

kyledvor61
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
Only if its a stock 450, if that. Raptor 700s are sloooooooooow! Id reccomend a 400ex, you cant do any better for a trail quad. quicker then a 400:D

ATVMX33
12-01-2009, 05:03 PM
U can't go wrong with a Z400...love mine and I've been beating it for 5 years with no real problems

12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Only if its a stock 450, if that. Raptor 700s are sloooooooooow! Id reccomend a 400ex, you cant do any better for a trail quad.

Slow? lol where have you been?

With the big 3 (Exhaust, intake, programmer) They HAUL.

S.A.J
12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I know you aint mentioned it but the 700xx seems to be a darn good choice for trails and wide open stuff and technical stuff with the irs.I hear the "big 3" also do pretty good on it.

But from the ones you mentioned 450r.The new one if you can wait for it.

Crummie
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM

I like the 400ex's alot but they just arent enough for me. My buddy has one with a full exhaust, jet kit, and air filter and it just leaves me with more to be desired when I got it out in the open. I loved it on the trails, but it just wasnt enough out on the open ground.

TrapZ400
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
the raptor 700 or the honda 700xx would be a good one for ya. It just depends on if you want IRS or not..

BlaineKaiser450
12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Slow? lol where have you been?

With the big 3 (Exhaust, intake, programmer) They HAUL. I rode one with a GTYR Exhaust, programmer and some other motor work, and was not impressed

wrekd
12-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I would either go with the Raptor or the 700XX. Big bore torque for the trails and straight out haul *** on straights!! 450's are dogs on the trail. No bottom end for lugging around.

chevys&honda$
12-02-2009, 12:46 AM
new yfz450x- made for trails and fast

rap 700- super fast very tall gear's, I dont like them for trails

z400- great all around quad can be built to run with them all, but a fun bike even stock

trx450r- stock are very bottled up but can be opened up with just a few mod's- great bikes ( i love mine)

ltz450- way to wide for trails

TCracin440ex
12-02-2009, 02:05 AM
well id say the 450r simply because downgeared they are hard to beat in the trails but still have plenty up top to scoot across a field. the raptor has never impressed me neither the 700 or the 660. they are IMO too tippy and top heavy. the COG on a raptor is really high compared to say a 400ex or a 450r. ive never ridden the trx 700xx so i wont chime in much about them. ill leave the others to thatt

i made the swap from 400ex to 450r and id do it over and over again. the 400ex left me wanting more all the time. trail quad the 400ex is hard to beat. they can be lugged arround all day long in 2nd or 3rd gear and not have a problem with that but when u come upon some open areas its going to leave u wanting more every time.

but if you plan on getting a 450r you better know how to ride and use a clutch because i will say riding a 450r in a TIGHT trail will require fancy clutch work and riding skills. but id take the 450r over the others mentioned any day...in a more open trail the 450s are fun and easy to controll. they are more like riding a 400ex with a high reving 450cc motor in them. in tight trails you can slow down and still be able to ride it. the problem i ever had with my 450 when it was stock is the jetting was off so bad the bike didnt want to stay running when putting thru tiny trails it would stall and i know it wont my clutch skills. i had the hrc kit installed, got an exhaust for it, an a k&n filter w/outterwears and never had the stalling problem again unless it was my own fault

the z400 aint a bad machine but like you said with the 400ex it will leave u wanting more.

KFX450Rrider490
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
all i do is ride trails and i have a kfx 450 and love it they handle great and have a good bottom end for realy tight stuff and then reverse is also a useful thing on them to

alot of people brought up the raptor 700 ive never ridden one but if its anything like the 660 id say its a bad idea they handle horrible and have no bottom end

but then again any quad made today realy isnt a bad bike so good luck with your decision

12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 300exrider490
all i do is ride trails and i have a kfx 450 and love it they handle great and have a good bottom end for realy tight stuff and then reverse is also a useful thing on them to

alot of people brought up the raptor 700 ive never ridden one but if its anything like the 660 id say its a bad idea they handle horrible and have no bottom end

but then again any quad made today realy isnt a bad bike so good luck with your decision

Everyone bases their opinions of the raptor 700 on the 660's, and that's part of the problem. The 660's were slow, top heavy, and handled like a turd.

They improved all of that on the 700. They're fast, not nearly as top heavy or tippy, and have decent suspension.

And honestly, you should really look into the Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS.
I know I know, poo poo polaris. They suck. Blah blah blah. I used to feel the same, but the outlaws really are good machines and much better then all of polaris's old stuff.
It has the 525 KTM motor (which is fast when you put an exhaust and filter on it), Independent rear suspension with fox shocks all around, RAZR tires, ITP rims, and really just a nice package overall.

12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh and the KFX450 is one of the best trail 450's.

coryatver
12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I am with the other guys in that the raptor 700 is slow. It is a big disappointment for a 700. If you are dissapointed in a modded 400ex you will be with the raptor also. They also don't have a very sporty ride compared to 400ex, and the other quads you mentioned.

Seems like to me you would love the rush a 450 would give you. Go for the 450r. The acceleration they have in unmatched. The kawi 450 has absolutely no low end power.

12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
I am with the other guys in that the raptor 700 is slow. It is a big disappointment for a 700. If you are dissapointed in a modded 400ex you will be with the raptor also. They also don't have a very sporty ride compared to 400ex, and the other quads you mentioned.

Seems like to me you would love the rush a 450 would give you. Go for the 450r. The acceleration they have in unmatched. The kawi 450 has absolutely no low end power.

Unmatched huh? I'd be willing to put a banshee or a bolt-on raptor 700 against one...

You guys act like 450's are jesus and the best things since post-its..

Yeah, most of the modern-day 450's are super-fun and good quads, but not what you people make them out to be. I actually had an offer of a 2006 LTR450 straight up for my 89 banshee just recently, and I turned it down because the 450 just doesn't give me the same rush.
The raptor 700's are deceptive. They don't feel as fast as they are... primarily because you all are used to high-revving 450's whereas the raptor torques it's way through everything. If you lined it up I bet you would be surprised how quick they are.

TCracin440ex
12-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Unmatched huh? I'd be willing to put a banshee or a bolt-on raptor 700 against one...

You guys act like 450's are jesus and the best things since post-its..

Yeah, most of the modern-day 450's are super-fun and good quads, but not what you people make them out to be. I actually had an offer of a 2006 LTR450 straight up for my 89 banshee just recently, and I turned it down because the 450 just doesn't give me the same rush.
The raptor 700's are deceptive. They don't feel as fast as they are... primarily because you all are used to high-revving 450's whereas the raptor torques it's way through everything. If you lined it up I bet you would be surprised how quick they are.

dude why are you on yamahas penis? you must be impressed by dumb stuff. the raptor 700 imo is a joke.

far as the 4 stroke giving you the rush a shee would well no duh i mean a banshee has a crazy powerband. i realy dont see how you can say a raptor 700 torques its way thru everything. first the raptor doesnt have much torque they are all topend. stock for stock a 450r will bust open a raptor anyday. ive seen it done. ive seen a bone stock trx 450r run neck and neck with a 525 outlaw. that quad is a joke as well too. to be 75cc difference and in a straight line the 525 can only beat the 450 by half a quad.

this guy would be better off on the trx 450. like i stated before it has all the good handling characteristics of a 400ex, but with a quick reving 450 motor in it. you down the front sprocket 1 tooth and you can get more bottomend as well for the trails, and still have the topend to scream in open areas

Jigsaw
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
[The kawi 450 has absolutely no low end power. [/B]

:confused: :confused: The Kawi has great bottom end but no top end

12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
dude why are you on yamahas penis? you must be impressed by dumb stuff. the raptor 700 imo is a joke.

far as the 4 stroke giving you the rush a shee would well no duh i mean a banshee has a crazy powerband. i realy dont see how you can say a raptor 700 torques its way thru everything. first the raptor doesnt have much torque they are all topend. stock for stock a 450r will bust open a raptor anyday. ive seen it done. ive seen a bone stock trx 450r run neck and neck with a 525 outlaw. that quad is a joke as well too. to be 75cc difference and in a straight line the 525 can only beat the 450 by half a quad.

this guy would be better off on the trx 450. like i stated before it has all the good handling characteristics of a 400ex, but with a quick reving 450 motor in it. you down the front sprocket 1 tooth and you can get more bottomend as well for the trails, and still have the topend to scream in open areas

I don't suck yamaha's penis, I just find all of their stuff to be pretty bullet proof. I've owned multiple Yamaha's already and notta one has failed me. I have nothing against other brands. If it has a motor I like it.

Stock for stock a 450 WILL take a raptor 700. But put the big three on both and the raptor IS faster. And all top end? Where they hell did you hear that bullcrap. They're all torque.

I'm done in this thread.. I like all brands but this is the biggest honda-nazi site around. lol.

TCracin440ex
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
no you just seem to post retarded info. my buddy has a raptor 700 and its a joke. and put a hrc kit on a 450r and watch the 450 walk right back arround a raptor 700 because they are not the best thing in the world. their handling is piss poor as well. to have over 250cc over a 450 machine ud think they would have more then they do but they simply dont.

12-02-2009, 06:03 PM
no you just seem to post retarded info. my buddy has a raptor 700 and its a joke. and put a hrc kit on a 450r and watch the 450 walk right back arround a raptor 700 because they are not the best thing in the world. their handling is piss poor as well. to have over 250cc over a 450 machine ud think they would have more then they do but they simply dont.

May I ask whats done to your buddies 700?

TCracin440ex
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
May I ask whats done to your buddies 700?

its stock with the baffle removed. it hasnt impressed me nor will it ever.

yfzrider690
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM

It sounds like you are on the honda penis. I have rode my buddies trx450 and it sucks. They are ugly, handle like crap and really need to be updated. My dad has the raptor 700 and it handles way better than they trx does. How can you compare a hrc kit to a stock raptor? The hrc kit comes with a different cam. If you did the big three and a cams on the raptor it would smoke the honda. You can get way more power out of a raptor for cheaper than a honda. And the raptor has tons of torque. Maybe you should do some reading before you spout off your mouth.

TCracin440ex
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
no just the raptor has never impressed me. im not on hondas penis because my next quad if honda dont update the trx will be a ltr or yfzr. so im not a brand bias person. the best bang for this guys buck is going to be the trx 450r.

far as reading more about the quad. i dont need to read anything. when i make my decision on if i like/dont like a quad its because i have rode it and didnt impress me...the raptor is one of the ones that didnt impress me.

EDIT: and imo this guy needs to find some friends that has all 3 sport quads he listed and ride them and see which one he likes and feels more comfortable on. alot of ppl come on this site asking questions on which one is best but the thing some quads suit different people better then others. me personally i like the trx 450r, i rode the yfz, the ltr,and i chose the 450r over all of them back when i bought my 450. this guy simply needs to do the same thing. ride them all and see which one he likes the most and feels the most comfortable on

yfzrider690
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
So you are basing your opinion on riding one stock raptor 700. That makes a lot of sense for you to say that it sucks. The raptor 700 has been the number one selling sport quad since it has come out. There has to be a reason for that. The honda is outdated like I said, that's why there not even offering them for 2010 and who knows for 2011.

12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
its stock with the baffle removed. it hasnt impressed me nor will it ever.

Stock with baffle removed? The baffle doesn't do crap. How can you run your mouth about it then?
If you he put an exhaust, open intake, and programmer on that, he would spank you. 700's are so choked up in stock form it's rediculous, so of course it's going to be slow with just the baffle removed. That isn't considered a mod. You do the math, HRC kit actually makes the exhaust flow better WITH a new header, a new cam, and a higher compression piston. No wonder it's gonna be faster:rolleyes:

A set of barker duals, K&N with open lid, programmer and you'll be surprised.

12-02-2009, 07:17 PM
And handling? Idk in dirtwheels when they tested it, they were railing it around the track like a 450. With pictures. Plus it has YFZ450 a-arms and high/low speed fully adjustable shocks.

yfzrider690
12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Ya this guy really doesn't know what he's talking about. He is comparing a stock 700 to a hrc kit 450. Plus he has only rode one. How can you have an opinion on anything with such little experience? I am not brand biased but I think the raptor is one of the best trail bikes that are available. Although I do love riding my yfz in the trails to. Like he did suggest though, the guy should try to ride a couple different bikes before he makes his choice, or go sit on a couple and see how they feel. Comfort has to be a big factor, they all have plenty of power or you can make them faster if you want.

Crummie
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks everybody for all the replies. This thread got way more attention than I was expecting. As for riding them all. I have friends with the honda 450r, the 700r, and the Z400 Ill have to ride at the dealers as none of my friends have them. My group is basically utility 4 wheelers which I have one of those already, and then 400, 426, and 440ex's and honda 450r's. Which the 450 guys love them out in the open but pretty well hate them when we go to trail riding as they say that it is a pain to keep the 450r reved and requires a lot of annoying clutch slipping. There is no lugging it. Plus all the added maintence that seems to go with the 450r's with extra oil changes, possible re-builds as it is considered more of a "race" bike, valves adjusting. I just thought that the 700r raptor and Z400 would be a little more like a utility quad when it comes to maintence and a little more tight woods trail friendly.

BlaineKaiser450
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
And handling? Idk in dirtwheels when they tested it, they were railing it around the track like a 450. With pictures. Plus it has YFZ450 a-arms and high/low speed fully adjustable shocks. Okay well i am used to an mx 450r so I might not have as good of an understanding of how quads should handle for the trails side of the sport, but the 2007 raptor I rode handled about the same as my Mother's 250ex. Plus dirtwheels had Yamaha winning almost all the time. I don't listen to their shootouts, I listen to real reveiws