PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle hub removal

JRK
11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I am having trouble seeing how the hub that holds the sprocket comes off the rear axle. Not seeing a clip other then the one that is toward the outside of said hub.

Which to me looks like the hub needs to move toward the center of the axle shaft?

Is this hub a press fit?

edit: this is on a 2008 ds450x

xrxmxcx
11-30-2009, 08:52 PM
FYI, you start from the brake hub side!

The brake hub has 3 bolts into it that lock it into the outer piece, which is the anti-fade! You take out the bolts and spin out the outer piece, and that loosens the axle!

*** backwards, but it works great! No more loose axle hubs!

JRK
11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I found a link to get the axle torn out. It worked great, nice step by step instructions...........http://www.durablue.com/uploads/files2/can_am_450_08.pdf

But now that I have the axle out, how do I get the last hub off?

Or does the axle I am getting from you have it on it?

xrxmxcx
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
You have to use a press to move the sprocket hub. First, you press the hub further onto the axle, to expose the cir-clip that is holding it on. Second you remove the cir-clip. After the clip is removed you press the hub off and it is the same process in the reverse order to re-install.

If you want you can ship directly to us, I will remove, and re-install the hub on your new axle, at no cost. Just cover the shipping cost here and you are all set!

JRK
11-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
You have to use a press to move the sprocket hub. First, you press the hub further onto the axle, to expose the cir-clip that is holding it on. Second you remove the cir-clip. After the clip is removed you press the hub off and it is the same process in the reverse order to re-install.

If you want you can ship directly to us, I will remove, and re-install the hub on your new axle, at no cost. Just cover the shipping cost here and you are all set! Just as I thought.

Thanks for the offer. I'll go back out in the shop and get it in the press.