PDA

View Full Version : Vibration????

TJ Bradley
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
The motor on my 05 vibrates pretty badly when reved. And is cause all sorts of problems (bolt, radiators, ect.). Anyone with any ides/ solutions as to why. It has bigger intake and exhaust valves, stock comp piston, and a HRC cam. The guy that built it said hes checked the balance shaft and said it was fine. What else could it be? Help please.

d3ktrix
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Did it start happening after work was done to it? Or out of no where?

TJ Bradley
11-30-2009, 04:09 PM
After it was put back together. I has abot 6 races on it since rebuild

d3ktrix
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe when it was put back together he didn't line up the punch marks on the balancer gear and output gear perfect? 1 tooth off maybe.
Shot in the dark. lol

New OEM or aftermarket crank used in the rebuild? Some hotrods cranks can be out of wack, esp if used with a lighter aftermarket piston.

TJ Bradley
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
new OEM used. I'll get him to check it again. Thanks for the help.

d3ktrix
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
You can pop the right side case cover off and see the punch marks on the gears.
Just have to drain the oil/coolant and take the foot brake lever off.
If you think that's a possible problem.

Might wana check timing too.
Worn clutch basket?
Broken fibers?

Just throwing out w/e I think of.

TJ Bradley
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
alright thanks alot. if it still runs good and pulls hard would timing still be a possibility?

TitanMotorworks
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
check gear on crank. dots might be lined up from gear to balancer but not timed with crank

there is a cut tooth on crank to line gear up but have seen guys tap that gear on with a hammer not realizing it

TJ Bradley
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

TJ Bradley
12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Alright. Tore it down today. Everything lined up perfect with the marks. However... turned out it was the main Clutch bearing was wobbly and the rivets that held the Outer basket to the main gear are shot also. Giving a little slack in the movent of the basket and gear. Which should be tight and have no play in it. Im pretty sure.? lol but anyway thats what the diagnosis is as of now. And im in the market for a Clutch assembly. If anyone has one. Stock or not. Dont matter just need one. And thanks agian for the help guys.

d3ktrix
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Every 450r engine that I've put back together, the outer clutch basket always did kinda wobble around on that roller bearing pretty bad.
The first time I did a bottom end rebuild on my engine I thought it was all messed up but it turned out to be normal. And I've seen that slop on a few of my friends baskets too, never seems to be a problem.

I can't say if yours is anything like mine tho, did the bearing or sleeve actually look shot?
Though if the rivets are shot that could make massive vibration for sure lol.
Is it an OEM basket? I've never herd of those massive rivets going bad.

TJ Bradley
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I've never heard of those going bad either. But i guess theres a first time for everything. lol. There was just alot of movement on both the Bearing and the basket gear itself. I hope this is the problem and im not buying a new clutch assembly for nothin. Time will tell. Thanks agian for the help.

... Still lookin for an assembly

eastside 400
12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
doesnt really sound like the problem, those baskets are always pretty loose around the rivets and esp. on the bearing. everything about it is loose, i always thought something was broken the first couple times i took it apart because i was always trying to find a problem but after its replaced it felt the same

TJ Bradley
12-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Well Hell. . .i dunno what it would be then. The bike runs strong and its been running like that since last winter.?? wouldn't it come apart allready if it was somethin with the crank or rod or somethin? I dunno what else to do.

TJ Bradley
12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Alright... got the new clutch assembly installed and everything, Cranked it up and it still vibrates just like it did before. ??? now what? Crank of balance or something? Its had a new OEM put in it not long ago. ??? Help :confused: