PDA

View Full Version : Missing cylinder head tube

Big_Guy_Green
11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I was going over my new (to me) machine and noticed that this part is missing. I'm wondering where the tubing is supposed to be routed to? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you. Bonus pts for pics lol

rapple
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
What year? The older ones just ran an open tube up to the front end.

Big_Guy_Green
11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
It's a 1995

Big_Guy_Green
11-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Just noticed the picture failed to upload first time. The tube is highlighted in red.

rapple
11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
It's just a crankcase vent. It doesn't appear that it's available as a spare part, only as part of the rocker box/valve cover. If it's open and unblocked, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you ride in dirty conditions, you might want to scout eBay for a new valve cover. They're cheap, but you'll need to make sure that you get one with good rocker arms, if not you'll have to swap yours into it. That entails replacing the rocker arm shafts... I haven't done it, but the manual shows a special tool and it looks like a fairly involved job. All in all, you're better off finding a good used one. A good used rocker box cover isn't terribly expensive... they seem to pop up for $50 regularly.

Another route to explore is to see if you can find a metal tube that's the right diameter and JB weld it in place. Just be careful not to contaminate the inside of the head... to be safe, you should probably remove the cover, but you could probably fit one with it still attached.

Big_Guy_Green
11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanx rapple

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an oil line or something. If it's just a breather, then I smell a custom mod coming it's way. One of the perks of having a machine shop in my building :D

QuadCobbler
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
The tubing in the pic is a breather like he said, On newer 300s it is conected to a plastic bottel (square shaped) then it runs into the intake tube before the carb, I think it is ran to the intake tube for (emisions control). Older 300s the tube runs to a filter ( pre emision control ) . like a miniture K&N filter for a crf 50. I would def make a small peice of tubing to put in the hole and put a filter on it before you ride it.

Big_Guy_Green
12-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanx cobbler

I'm actually thinking of bringing the head into work and having that hole threaded. It seems to me the lack of tube is the result of it just falling out, and I intend to cure that. Of course if someone knows of an aftermarket solution, I'm always open to options!

2to4
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
your gay

dirtdawg
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 2to4
your gay

Why is that?

2to4
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
hey im realy sorry about that i got up to get a snack yesterday and my friend wrote that i just realized he wrote it sry

Big_Guy_Green
12-02-2009, 11:00 PM
No problem. Just remember, some friends are like untrained puppies. Take your eyes off them for a minute and they're crapping in your shoes.

And usually a swat with a rolled up newspaper works just as well on both :D

2to4
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
hahahahahaha very true

Grimzella
12-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 2to4
hahahahahaha very true

I've often wondered why a "friend" would go behind someones back, write on forums like this, bad mouth members and just leave. The response ALWAYS .. "sorry it was my friend" well teach your friends a lesson, kick him right in the nuttz and say "HEY" keep your hands off my Sh|t ankle grabber.

2to4
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Grimzella
I've often wondered why a "friend" would go behind someones back, write on forums like this, bad mouth members and just leave. The response ALWAYS .. "sorry it was my friend" well teach your friends a lesson, kick him right in the nuttz and say "HEY" keep your hands off my Sh|t ankle grabber. lol he thinks hes all cool and he can really be a d*** sometimes, idk why i hang out with him. i went to get some cheese its and when i came back he was just on his facebook and then the next day i got an email saying there was a reply to this thread which i never posted on and i couldnt log on so i went on another computer and saw what he wrote. why would i call him gay? it was a random post and he didnt think it would get me kicked but still now i look bad

Grimzella
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
a friend like that seems like he would try to get your girfriend behind your back. I thought maybe with 111 posts you have, this might be a friend or little brother. These members here all have great knowledge to contribute. I have been helped here many times with success!! So when i see posts like this, i take it as if they are also talking to me.