PDA

View Full Version : Blowing oil. Changing/pluggin vent tube??

blacknblue#2
11-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok i have an 07 450R. this thing has blown oil from the time i started doing stuff to it (and i have checked everything, crank seals, rings and other stuff trying to fix it). It wont do it just casual riding. It only does it when this thing is really cranking. Which in my case happens at some point every time i ride it. I have tracked down that the oil is coming from the breather hose on the stator cover..For those of you not familar with the 07 breather hoses they have one that comes off the stator cover, one off the valve cover. They meet up at a "T" and run another hose out the back. My question is.. Is there any reason i cant plug the breather hose on the stator cover. The motor will still be able to breathe through the valve cover correct? It will have to be better in the long run because my motor will have oil in it at all times instead of blowing it all out and leavin me having to go find more to pour in it when it gets low.

motofreak2772
11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I had the same problem. Mine ended up being some oil reed in between the cases. It broke and allowed oil to just flow right through and I guess when it heated up it just shot out of the overflow tube.

blacknblue#2
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
i wish i could say mine was that. I tore mine apart last winter to replace that. I completely disassembled the motor to replace that just to put it back together and get covered in oil again hahah im sure you can imagine my choice words the first time i rode it lol

d3ktrix
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd think if u plug it that the pressure would just blow out some other seal.

My friend had this problem on his 05 for a long time, it keep pumping oil out of the vent hoses. It turned out to be a crack in the case from an unbalenced crank.
I think it was tranny oil that was pumping out though.

TitanMotorworks
11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Did you convert a ER to R? If so theres a hole you have to plug or that would happen.

and do not plug the vent line!!!

Scro
12-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by TitanMotorworks
Did you convert a ER to R? If so theres a hole you have to plug or that would happen.

and do not plug the vent line!!!

What hole are you talking about plugging?

blacknblue#2
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Scro
What hole are you talking about plugging?

i think he is talking about the starter hole and yes that was plugged when i took the electric stuff off lol. I have heard other ppl say it can be caused from a cracked case also. I didnt see anything when i was in there but that dont mean anything. The slightest little gap between the gaskets can cause pressure build up so this could be my case. I had a guy tell me to take all the stock breather tubes off. Buy bigger lines. Just run the one from the stator and the one from the valve cover. Do away with the T and buy little clamp in style filters and put at the end of both of them, He said that helped his. I may try it.

hillbillyhpower
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
i have the exact same prob. i had an excellent mechanic go over it and replace every seal in the motor. guess what, its doing it again. its an 08 and its on its 3rd tranny, now this oil bs, im so pissed off i cant take it. my 06 is a beat rag, but i never had a bit of trouble and would choose it to keep any day.

TitanMotorworks
12-01-2009, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blacknblue#2
[B]i think he is talking about the starter hole and yes that was plugged when i took the electric stuff off lol.

No, not the starter hole. the oil line hole that lubes the idler gears for the starter. Its one of the bolts that hold the support bracket on

Scro
12-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by TitanMotorworks
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blacknblue#2
[B]i think he is talking about the starter hole and yes that was plugged when i took the electric stuff off lol.

No, not the starter hole. the oil line hole that lubes the idler gears for the starter. Its one of the bolts that hold the support bracket on

So a bolt just needs to be put back into place? Could you point it out on a parts diagram?

mad715
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe a hair line crack in the cases somewhere, allowing oil to go somewhere it shouldn`t. Just a thought!

2007R
12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
On my brothers 07 450r. it was putting oil all over the motor, swinger, pipe, etc. and it was just a stupid little thing of having to much oil in it and it was blowing it out the overflow. might check that..... did you say that its throwing out lots of oil or just some hear and there...

zyoung04
12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
he cant keep oil in it so i know thats not the prob

blacknblue#2
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by zyoung04
he cant keep oil in it so i know thats not the prob

I got this junk figured out Sac.. I ran the valve cover breather hose straight open. I went down on the bottom end breather hose and put a 5/8 hose on it with a filter on the end of it. Ive rode it like i normally do (which you know how that is) since i done it and no oil blown yet. Im ready for warm weather and a trip to Bar 2 Bar.....

big bad beny
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
What kinda of filter did u put on there. iam having the same prob with my 08

blacknblue#2
04-21-2010, 10:27 PM
i just went and got some cheap ricer lookin filter. Just basically something to keep the dirt out. You can get them off the shelf at any parts store. something like this (the top one)..........http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=crankcase+filter+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=crankcase+fiilter&_rdc=1

big bad beny
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
How much blow by were u having?

blacknblue#2
04-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I was having alot. It go to the point to where in a full day of riding on a track my swingarm was covered, my brakes would barely work from being covered with oil and i wasnt running an air box so it would cover my air filter. It was bad. Since i ran the bigger lines and filter it has only showed noticable blow-by just one time. I was really cranking the sh** out of it and not coming off rev limiter. It could have been a little overfull that time too. So the bigger breather tubes helped my problem for sure.

moogie
04-26-2010, 04:28 AM
blank off lower stator cover breather and just use rocker cover breather and redirect down to chain. If a bit of oil comes out it can lube chain anyway. The compartment in stator cover and rocker is all same area

For the record i discovered the 06 stator cover breather internally had a bent tube directed upwards, yet the 07 up or could have been 08 even didnt have this metal tube and was easier for oil to push out on high race rpm operation