PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Starting Question

jdd3098
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
My father owns a 1987 or 1988 350 big bear. It has a pull start and the elec start. When he Pulls it, it starts with NO problem. When he tries the elec start it just cranks with no start. He checked if there was a spark with it crankin and there is. Anyone have any idea what's going on? He is 63 years old and needs his elec start (he also needs a new quad). Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Joe

foxman_87
01-08-2010, 11:50 AM
It is possible that the starter is not rolling the motor over fast enough to get it to fire. I have the same problem with mine when the battery gets a little weak. Try putting the battery on a charger for a while, then while it is still connected, hit the start button and see what happens.

I also had a motorcycle that wouldn't start with the starter. Even with a brand new fully charged battery, I could only get 1 start out of it before it wouldn't work again. I rebuilt the starter and never had another problem.

Kory

espoores
06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Yep, it sounds like the starter is weak. I have the same atv and I have no problems out of the starter. You may be able to take it into you local auto parts dealer and ask them if they can do an amp draw to see if the starter is bad. Does it seem to turn over fast enough with the starter?