PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Headphone cable end

Sjorge450R
11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
How can I go about doing this? I have a set of computer speakers that have a ***ced up end which is a typical 3.5mm headphone end. Can just cut it off and splice a new one on (I would just buy cut off the end from a cheap set of headphones). Is that possible, or is the wire composed of 2 or three un-recognizable wires? I really don't wanna throw these speaks in the garbage as I paid quite a bit for them.

dns1764
11-30-2009, 10:21 AM
yeah it can be done but its a pain in the a**. it is much easier if the headphones you are taking the jack from have two distinct wires. good luck

Scro
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I know some of them have the ground as like an insulating jacket around the main wire. If this is the case, then you are SOL. Splicing it would be hard.

I would just cut the wire and see if it's a simple two wire setup that have their own insulating jackets. If it is, just splice them together. If not, the wire was screwed to begin with anyway.

Sjorge450R
11-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I know some of them have the ground as like an insulating jacket around the main wire. If this is the case, then you are SOL. Splicing it would be hard.

I would just cut the wire and see if it's a simple two wire setup that have their own insulating jackets. If it is, just splice them together. If not, the wire was screwed to begin with anyway.

well. I ended up cutting the end off, to find two insulated wires that were wrapped within an un-insulated copper wire :(. I am going to stop at the dollar store on teh way home and buy a pair of head phones and hope they use the same setup and then just splice the two insulated wires together and then twist the copper wires together.....you would never think that its this complicated in a sound wire...lol

Regular_Joe
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Radio Shack sells things for this. Its the new end that you just solder the wires on to, and the cover screws over it to hide it all. It will make it look like new.

RadioShack Gold Series 1/8" Stereo Plug
Model: 274-858 | Catalog #: 274-858

Ralph
11-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Radio Shack sells things for this. Its the new end that you just solder the wires on to, and the cover screws over it to hide it all. It will make it look like new.

RadioShack Gold Series 1/8" Stereo Plug
Model: 274-858 | Catalog #: 274-858

Probably will have to solder the connections no matter what.

Sjorge450R
11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I actually saw that 1/8" plug. That just means I need to buy an adaptor though to make it 3.5. Right?

Regular_Joe
11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
They should have bigger ones too...