PDA

View Full Version : FRAME swap questions

400exOverride
11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
I am getting a new frame for my 2005 400ex and want to know if I can use a frame from the older ones with out reverse and the old plastics. So can i use a frame from a 2000-2004 frame for my 05 stuff?

NacsMXer
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm currently doing a swap like that except the opposite. I have a 2000 machine, but am swapping to a newer 2006 frame.

Here's the differences I found. The newer frames have mounting brackets for the front headlight welded to the frame. If you are using an older frame you won't be able to use the newer style front headlight. You can still use the newer style plastics, just no headlight.

Also on the newer frames, between the top front shock mounts, there is a small black bracket that is bolted to the frame with 2 bolts. This bracket holds the ignition box, and your electrical connectors. The older machines have a slightly different wiring harness and do not use this bracket. Instead, the ignition box and electrical connectors are held to the frame with tabs that have been welded on. Not a big deal, you can easily use the newer bracket on the older frame. You just have to drill and tap 2 holes and bolt it on.

Everything else is the same. Hope that helps :)