PDA

View Full Version : steering stem bearing????

mxpimp2000
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
how does the bearing holder for the lower stem bearings come out? anyone have any do it your self ideas on this??

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/101_0806.jpg

#17YFZRACER
11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
when i took my 07 apart for powder coating i had to do that. that collar with the hex shape is threaded in. i had a punch handle that fit right in there so i put a pair of vice grips on it and turned it out. it comes out hard cuz its locktighted. then when you get that out if you have a socket big enough...find one thats the same size as the bearing race and tap it out. might have to heat it if its seized up idk

mxpimp2000
11-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
when i took my 07 apart for powder coating i had to do that. that collar with the hex shape is threaded in. i had a punch handle that fit right in there so i put a pair of vice grips on it and turned it out. it comes out hard cuz its locktighted. then when you get that out if you have a socket big enough...find one thats the same size as the bearing race and tap it out. might have to heat it if its seized up idk

i just need to get the holder out. i sold the frame and have a new frame that i bought new bearings for and idc to leave to old bearings in that frame all i want is to get my holder piece out. do you have a pic of what u used?

atvlifestyle
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I just went to the hardware store and got a hex bolt about that size and two nuts. I found one alittle big and had to grind alittle to get it the right size. Tighten nuts together and you can loosen on the one tighten on the other. only cost about $1 and works great.

mxpimp2000
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by atvlifestyle
I just went to the hardware store and got a hex bolt about that size and two nuts. I found one alittle big and had to grind alittle to get it the right size. Tighten nuts together and you can loosen on the one tighten on the other. only cost about $1 and works great.

lol thats exactly what i done the other day. spent 1.25 on a 7/8 bolt and 2 nuts. i had to grind it quiet abit to get it to fit but it was just perfect after i got done. i had heard it was a 30mm but couldnt find that size nut or bolt anywheres so deicided to make my own for cheaper:D