PDA

View Full Version : E3 Spark Plugs

Trxman300
11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
ok so what is the deal with the new e3 plugs, are they worth it, do they reduce emitions, help fuel economy, help your engine last longer? tell me what you think and if they are worth it where can i get them (website) and how much are they going for.

speedfreek
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I personally think they are not worth the money. I will stick to what I know works. A/C, Autolite, NGK....

I once bought a set of splitfire plugs a long time ago. I was also once young and dum, lol. I will never waste my money on another one of these type of plugs.

JMO.

Trxman300
11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
alright thanks, i just run NGK. i just wanted to knoe some little improvements that i can do to my quad to get some more power out of it with out spending too much money.

speedfreek
11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Trxman300
i just wanted to knoe some little improvements that i can do to my quad to get some more power out of it with out spending too much money. Shave the electrode to a sharp point right over the tip of the plug(porcelain part). This concentrates the spark. And it's free hp.

11-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Horsepower on Powerblock tested the E3's and they got more HP, lower emissions and better fuel economy than any other plug. I'm sure it will work the same in a quad/dirtbike.

Trxman300
11-30-2009, 06:42 AM
alright. i might just try them out once in spring. and if all goes well, i will stay with them. and i never heard of shaving down the electrode thing to a point. sounds pretty clever. i wouldnt mind trying that out some day.

speedfreek
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
How much do they cost?

Big_Guy_Green
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Nova
Horsepower on Powerblock tested the E3's and they got more HP, lower emissions and better fuel economy than any other plug. I'm sure it will work the same in a quad/dirtbike.

That was also a high HP V8 engine that gained about 3hp. You won't have a noticeable feel in power increase in a quad. And it will provide a more complete burn of the fuel/air which will net you a little improved economy, but I would guess ounces per tank.

The big thing I like about those kinds of plugs is that there is multiple electrodes, so there is minimal chance of completely loosing spark because of fouling. I don't run them myself, but I can see the advantage there to a racer.

Trxman300
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
alright, well how do you guys feel about running some premium or super gasoline in my 300ex? is that a knowticeable difference or what?

Big_Guy_Green
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
The thing to remember with octane is that it isn't a cure all power boost. Higher octane gasoline simply has a higher resistance to detonation (aka it burns slower). It can actually rob power from an engine to run too high of an octane because there isn't enough compression to get a good thorough burn. Also there will be more carbon buildup on the valves and such due to the inefficient burn.

I run either 87 with some Sea Foam, or 91 non-oxygenated in my stock machines. But only because it's non-oxygenated, meaning there is no ethanol in it. In my high compression toys I run 91-93. I use non-oxygenated because if you leave the machine sit with gas in it (which most of us do), it will gather less condensation than oxygenated gasoline.

speedfreek
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Do yall know of any racers that use these plugs? Or any type of 2,3,4 electrode plugs?

Not me.

Trxman300
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
ok. thanks. and by the way where can you buy seafoam and do you just put it in your gas on your toys or do you put it in the intake too. can you tell me how much you would put in the gas tank and carb, if you do. thanks

Big_Guy_Green
12-02-2009, 08:32 AM
I get my Sea Foam at a farm supply store nearby, but you can get it at most auto parts stores and some truck stops and gas stations. One can is good for 16-20 gallons, I just splash about 2 ounces per tank fill. I also put an ounce or so in the engine oil.

Here's their website. Just click on the can to go that product page. Their also coming out with a list of retailers that supply it.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Trxman300
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
alright sweet. thanks